Question

Unable to run Esri Python 3 scripts on FME Server, even though all settings/compatibility appears to be correct

• 1 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I am having issues running workspaces on FME Server that contain Python 3 (using Esri GIS Python module). This is the error I am getting:

The workspace has Python Compatibility set to 'Esri ArcGIS Python 3.6+', which requires an appropriate version of ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Server. If ArcGIS is not required by this workspace, then update Python Compatibility to a non-Esri-ArcGIS Python. Otherwise, please install the required ArcGIS product, or if ArcGIS Desktop already installed, update Python Compatibility to 'Esri ArcGIS Python 2.7'. To update this setting, go to: Navigator -> Workspace Parameters -> Scripting -> Python Compatibility

Environment Details: FME Desktop/Server 2021.2.5.0, ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and ArcMap 10.8.1

Per the compatibility page (https://community.safe.com/s/article/notes-on-fme-and-esri-versions-and-compatibility) ArcGIS Pro 2.8 is compatible with the version of FME I am using.

In my workspace in FME Desktop, I set Python Compatibility to Esri ArcGIS Python 3.6+ (and also tried 3.7+) and also set Esri ArcGIS Compatibility to ArcGIS Pro. Furthermore, FME Server has a valid license of ArcGIS Pro.

I do have both ArcMap and Pro installed on FME Server (as we use a mix of both applications), but I thought setting the Esri ArcGIS Compatibility would resolve any sort of conflicts.​

So, I'm not sure what is going wrong. I know this issue is a popular topic here, but I've searched through other posts and tried the solutions and nothing has worked. So, I appreciate any help to get this issue fixed. Thank you!

4 replies

I have been having the exact same issue trying to run ESRI python 3.9 on our FME server! I installed arc pro on the server VM and followed the instructions from safe on uploading the esri python 3.9 directory directory to plugins/python. under files and connections in the web UI for server. This is really frustrating and there nothing online to help solve this issue.

I have been having the exact same issue trying to run ESRI python 3.9 on our FME server! I installed arc pro on the server VM and followed the instructions from safe on uploading the esri python 3.9 directory directory to plugins/python. under files and connections in the web UI for server. This is really frustrating and there nothing online to help solve this issue.

Not sure if you've fixed this issue but using ArcPro on the FME Server installation is no longer permitted. You must install a license version of ArcGIS Server on the same machine as FME Server. https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-server-with-esri-software#:~:text=Connecting%20FME%20Server%20to%20ArcGIS,no%20additional%20configuration%20steps%20required.

Badge +5

Did you find any solution to this issue?

Badge +9

Hi @xtian79,

This issue is likely due to FME Flow being unable to find the ArcGIS License. Looking through your past posts it seems like you have FME Flow and ArcGIS Server configured on the the same machine which should be enough for Flow to pick up a license. 

I’d recommend opening up a support case with us so that we can look into this. We have a few known issues around Esri Licensing but it depends on the version of FME and ArcGIS Server product you are using so I don’t want to make any recommendations without knowing the details of your situation.