Question

How to split minimum and maximum depth overlaps in drill hole values with the same ID number.

• 12 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have drill hole id's with overlapping minimum and maximum depth values. I'd like to split the overlaps. However this implies the addition of a new row with new minum depth and maximum depth values. I've unsucessfully tried building lines to get the intersections and overlaps. I've added an excel sheet with sample data and (I think) a clearer explanation of what I'm trying to achieve.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

I think there are several ways to solve this, but a fun one is to draw vertical lines using a VertexCreator and 0, min_depth and 0, max_depth. Then you can use the LineOnLineOverlayer to create 3 lines from the 2 lines. Create a list from the attributes so you can reassign the attributes later. Then extract new depths from the coordinates.

Badge

I'm not certain I follow. Are you suggesting I use 0, min_depth and 0, max_depth in the Vertex creator? That unfortunately doesn't seem to create points. The values already have a position in postGIS, or maybe I should regenerate the actual collar position from the xy values with the vertex creator and then use a Line on Line.

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

No, if you create a point 0, max_depth using one vertexcreator and then adding another point using 0, min_depth you will have a schematic line representing the borehole. You can then overlap the lines to create the 3 segments as you want to using the LineOnLineOverlayer. Start with only the 2 records where you know they overlap. When everything works, set the LineOnLineOverlayer to group by bore hole id and process all records.

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Added a workspace demonstrating this. It is not production ready but it does work.

Badge

That looks really helpful, thanks. I'll play around with it to see what I can get. Many thanks.