Solved

Snapshots for unsupported instances

• 9 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a FME Flow Hosted instance, but I can't create snapshots from the backups tab, because I get this message "Snapshots not supported for unsupported instances"...

How can I get a snapshot of my current instance to restore in the new one ?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 9 February 2024, 12:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

The Sanpshot is just a backup really - you should have a few backups linked to the running instance already.

You should use the backup / restore process from withing the FME Server UI. You can download the backup file and restore it to a newly running instance of the latest FME Flow version. You can then create a snapshot of this instance if you need to keep a backup of the current state. 

Not being able to create a snapshot of your current instance is a bit of a shame though.

Badge +2

Ok, so I can use the .fsconfig file that I get from the FME Server UI to restore it on the new created instance ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Yes exactly - Be sure to make sure that the backup gets restored properly before terminating your current instance though. There can be situations where things go wrong.

I would also recommend keeping your old instance available for a while in the not running state to help verify that everything is looking as it should and you have something you can refer back to for a while in case there are configurations that’s aren’t working correctly etc

Badge +2

Ok, thanks for your answer.

If i want to keep the same URL, I can’t keep my old instance while I’m testing my new instance, are you agree ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Yeah that’s correct - I usually always have to test with a new URL. When it’s time to make the actual upgrade and you want to keep the URL then you do need to terminate the instance in order to get the URL for the new instance.  Without being able to create a nap shot of your current version this does add a bit of stress and really means you need to do some pretty thorough testing because you want easily be able to role back it seems. 

Upgrading an Instance (safe.com)

It might be worth getting in touch with Safe Support about this because not having the option to roll back to your current version is not exactly ideal. But I guess it does highlight the importance of performing regular updates. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Ok, so I can use the .fsconfig file that I get from the FME Server UI to restore it on the new created instance ?

Yes exactly - Be sure to make sure that the backup gets restored properly before terminating your current instance though. There can be situations where things go wrong.

I would also recommend keeping your old instance available for a while in the not running state to help verify that everything is looking as it should and you have something you can refer back to for a while in case there are configurations that’s aren’t working correctly etc

Unsure if this also applies to Hosted but we’ve noticed Flow now requires you to also export the system encryption key alongside the backup so make sure you do that otherwise you’ll end up with a backup you can’t decrypt