Solved

Can an existing python library be updated on FME Flow hosted?

• 10 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

I'v been succesfull in loading additional python site-packages on FME flow hosted.

Now I have a site-package that needs a newer verion of numpy then the one that's allready in the standard installation.

Can I upgrade numpy on the FME Flow hosted environment?

icon

Best answer by virtualcitymatt 10 July 2023, 09:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I would say unfortunately probably not. Which version of numpy do you need? If it's just a patch version bump then you might be able to try with minimal risk. If it's a minor version upgrade (1.24 > 1.25) then I wouldn't risk it myself. Numpy is used in FME in other formats so upgrading might lead to unstable behaviour. If you do decide to try definitely take a snapshot of the image before you do.

I think FME will prefer the installed Numpy version rather than one you put in the plugins folder so I think you would need to update the fme installation folder...

If you want to try (I think you wont have the permission but you can try - you most likely will need root access) is to publish a workspace with a SystemCaller witch call the appropriate Pip call.

You might want to contact Safe directly through on this and ask if they can help you out or advise on the best approach

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

I would say unfortunately probably not. Which version of numpy do you need? If it's just a patch version bump then you might be able to try with minimal risk. If it's a minor version upgrade (1.24 > 1.25) then I wouldn't risk it myself. Numpy is used in FME in other formats so upgrading might lead to unstable behaviour. If you do decide to try definitely take a snapshot of the image before you do.

I think FME will prefer the installed Numpy version rather than one you put in the plugins folder so I think you would need to update the fme installation folder...

If you want to try (I think you wont have the permission but you can try - you most likely will need root access) is to publish a workspace with a SystemCaller witch call the appropriate Pip call.

You might want to contact Safe directly through on this and ask if they can help you out or advise on the best approach

Thanks, I like the idea to use a systemcaller to update. I didn't test it because of the risks. (My guess is that it will fail.) My workaround now is a different approach where I don't need to upgrade.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks, I like the idea to use a systemcaller to update. I didn't test it because of the risks. (My guess is that it will fail.) My workaround now is a different approach where I don't need to upgrade.

Nice one - win one for the workaround!