Skip to main content

I'm in the process of moving to SQL Server 2017 for ArcSDE. My plan is to use DNS aliasing to route any ESRI connections to my existing SQL instances (in case I miss any during updates of connection files) to the new 2017 instances. Database names won't change.

Will this work for FME as well? I don't know how FME stores the connection info in the workspace. Mostly concerned with FME Server. Hopefully, there are no IPs stored anywhere!?

So if I'm currently using:

• Instance: OldSQLBox
  • Database: MyOldDB
  • Windows Authentication

and the new instance is called: NewSQLBox.

Will my FME connection pointing at OldSQLBox, MyOldDB work once aliasing is setup and "traffic gets routes" to NewSQLBox, MyOldDB? (I'm sure you can tell from the jargon here that I'm no DBA - haha!)

@agelfert FME uses the SDE connection files to connection to your SDE. So if DNS aliasing is working in ArcGIS then it should work OK with FME. The SDE connection files does not store the IP address, only the instance names. So I think your instance names will also have to be the same

Thanks, Mark. I'm about flip the switch and will report back if I run into any snags.