Skip to main content
Question

Using XMLUpdater to change waypoint names in .GPX file

• 15 January 2013
  • 3 replies

Is XMLUpdater the best transformer to edit multiple waypoints in a .GPX file. I need to change hundreds of unique waypoint names in a .GPX file to a few names based on a alpha character in the those original way point names.

For example:  <name>002C34</name> needs to become <name>C</name> or <name>003B33</name> become <name>B</name>
Hi,   I'm not familiar with both of GPX format and XMLUpdater, but I think that you can use simply StringReplacer if "name" can be treated as an attribute of the GPX data. Read the original data with GPX] reader, change each "name" by StringReplacer and write changed data with GPX] writer. In addition, other transformer (e.g. StringSearcher) might be also available instead of StringReplacer.   Hope this helps.  
takashi:

Thanks for the tip and I am part way there. I have been able to "find" the text I want in the waypoint name but I am struggling to find comprehensive documentation for an Advanced Regular Expression to define the replacement text for all of the way point name, with just a shorter letter code.  The StringReplacer does a good job of editing the found string in the way point name but it is not easy to replace the entire way point name with a single letter code. FMEpedia does not provide very many examples that I can find.

Cheers

Rob
Hi Rob,   If "name" which you need to change always consists of three parts: one or more digits], only one capital letter] and one or more digits] StringReplacer with the following settings would work, for example.   Attributes: name Text to Find: :0-9]+(+A-Z])]0-9]+ Replacement Text: \\1 Use Regular Expressions: yes   And you can see detailed documentation about regular expressions here: http://www.regular-expressions.info/