Question

Splitting bulk features into individual features when performing simple copy of annotation between File GDBs

• 17 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I am trying to do a very basic read/write of an annotation feature class from one file geodatabase to another. In my case, I’m first running a PythonCaller transformer to remove any and all annotation feature classes in the target file geodatabase, then I use a FeatureReader to read the annotation feature class from the source file GDB, and then run a FeatureWriter to write the annotation FC to the target geodatabase with “Insert” and “Create if Needed” options selected for the table, which I assume is creating a new annotation feature class in the target FGDB.

Regardless of minor tweaks I make to both the FeatureReader and FeatureWriter transformers, FME Flow keeps writing these as individual features instead of bulk features. There are ~450k annotation features in the feature class, so running this by writing individual features takes over an hour, which will not work for our scenario.

Interestingly, the first time I ran this in an earlier workspace, FME Flow used the bulk feature setting and the read/write process took ~6 minutes. I’ve been wracking my brain to figure out what I did differently, but it’s like conjuring voodoo to figure out the specific parameters.

Anyone have any ideas of what I’m doing wrong? I wish I could have a copy of the source annotation feature class copied over to the target file geodatabase (in which case the schema’s would already exist and perfectly match), however I have to run a process on the annotation FC in the target FGDB that requires that it be deleted before the workspace is run the following night…

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Hi @jesselangdon are you able to run this on FME Form? Does it run with individual or bulk features when run locally? What version of FME are you using? Could you share any logs or additional information for us?

Badge +2

Thanks for your response @evieatsafe. I am attempting to run this on FME Form 2023.1.1.1 (Build 23636 - WIN64), on Windows 10 Enterprise v22H2.

When run locally, it is writing the features individually, not in bulk (which is the problem).

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Thanks for the reply @jesselangdon just wanted to confirm that this is happening in FME Form as well, not just in FME Flow. Could you provide any screenshots of your FeatureWriter parameters? What other transformers do you have before writing them out? Could you use a regular Writer instead of a FeatureWriter to see if that helps?