Skip to main content

I have an Oracle table full of polygons, I'd like to split them into the arcs and line segments they're composed of.

Is there any way I can do this? The closest I've found is setting a Chopper to split every 2 vertices, but this has the effect of turning any arc segment into several straight line segments, which is unwanted.

Hi @yola, you can use the GeometryPartExtractor to extract arcs and lines from the polygon. Test clauses for the Geometry XQuery should be:

1. This part | Geometry Type = IFMEArc
  2. This part | Geometry Type = IFMELine

Then, filter the arcs and the lines with the GeometryFilter, and apply the Chopper to only the lines in order to decompose them into individual line segments. The data flow looks like this.

Hi @yola,

The solution from @takashi is a good one, but by complex polygons it will not perform well. You can place a DonutHoleExtractor and a GeometryCoercer between the reader en the GeometryPartExtractor to make it perform better. The data flow then looks like this.

Hi @yola, you can use the GeometryPartExtractor to extract arcs and lines from the polygon. Test clauses for the Geometry XQuery should be:

Then, filter the arcs and the lines with the GeometryFilter, and apply the Chopper to only the lines in order to decompose them into individual line segments. The data flow looks like this.

I learned something new today, thanks!

I have a similar question. I extract the boundary line of a polygon with GeometryPartExtractor, and then try to decompose it with Chopper. But instead of four lines, the result is many of broken segments. Why is that? Thank you.