Skip to main content

I am experiencing an error when reading AGOL feature services that are publicly available as REST services and writing them locally to a file geodatabase.  

I am using the Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service reader and the Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) writer.  However, I am having an issue where the translation fails when writing to the file geodatabase.

To clarify, I have no issues reading the data into FME however when writing to file geodatabase I get a single error message in the translation:

2020-06-16 12:02:03|   4.0|  0.0|FATAL |GEODATABASE_FILE writer: An unknown exception occurred

Attached is the workbench: 

Data source: the AGOL REST service URL I am reading is here: https://services1.arcgis.com/8CpMUd3fdw6aXef7/ArcGIS/rest/services/Parcel_Service/FeatureServer 

Trouble shooting this issue found:

• I am able to write to shape file with success for the most part
    • However I've observed that when writing to shapefile in some cases some fields are written with no values and in small number of cases the fields are not written at all.
  • I am able to write to an FME Feature Store (.FFS), then read that back in and then successfully write that to a file geodatabase with no errors.
  • I am able to successfully read/write a different REST service to a File Geodatabase with no issues.

Work around: is to write to a .FFS then to a file geodatabase.

Is this a configuration issue with the REST service or is the issue on the FME side?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

FME Build: FME 2019.2.3.1 (20200212 - Build 19823 - WIN64)

​So, I hit this issue also, when opening a workspace in desktop on the same box as the fmeserver install it would also give an error about something in the base code in the file reader.cpp:106.  When I tried to run it in server, I'd get the Geodatabase error.  I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.8, with 64bit background geoprocessing installed, and I also have ArcGIS Pro installed.

When I encountered this error, I adjusted the Scripting Python engine to ESRI 2.7, and it resolved the error.  I think there is a bug noted about 2019.2 regarding this somewhere. 

I also had this issue today. Using the Data Interoperability extension with ArcPro v2.5 gave this exact error. However a work around I discovered, is to use the DI extension with ArcGIS Desktop v10.6.1. It worked like a charm and I was able to write the feature service to a file gdb.