Skip to main content

Hi all,

I seem not able to rotate text objects written to a png file.

They are rotated, rotationfield has correct value when arriving at the writer.

Even using gif_text_rotation or fme_rotation...nothing seems to make the png have the text rotated .

Anyone know this issue and maybe what I'm missing here? (please answer in relation to png writer if possible...;))

Hi @gio ,

have you already been able to solve your issue? If not, can you please add some more information? E.g. example output and workspace.

Hi @lars_de_vries

Problem is actually simple.

Create some text add rotation value and write it out as png.

Text in the created png refuses to rotate whilst in the viewer rotation is executed.

Using the attribute "gif_text_rotation" does not help either. ( I tried radial and degree input)

All text stays horizontal.

using fme 2016

Have not solved it, currently not using png writer when text is involved

Thanks for responding.

Eager to know wether you'll be able to advise a solution or verify brokenness.

Greets

Gio

I was thinking about adding the rotated text to the image using the MapnikRasterizer, but therefor a bit more info on input and the techniques you already applied is necessary.

Hoi @lars_de_vries

I am referring to feeding a png writer directly, no MapNikRasterizer involved (which I more commonly know as Tile Mill btw..)

Groetjes

Hoi @lars_de_vries

I am referring to feeding a png writer directly, no MapNikRasterizer involved (which I more commonly know as Tile Mill btw..)

Groetjes

But how do you feed a label directly to a png-writer, it needs to be rasterized first, doesn't it?

But how do you feed a label directly to a png-writer, it needs to be rasterized first, doesn't it?

Besides a png write there is also png rasterizer writer.

You can feed it text, rasters and vectors directly. It takes care of rasterizing.

The text appears, only it refuses to be rotated.

Might it be a bug? Then can I assume it is not used much?

Besides a png write there is also png rasterizer writer.

You can feed it text, rasters and vectors directly. It takes care of rasterizing.

The text appears, only it refuses to be rotated.

Might it be a bug? Then can I assume it is not used much?

I tried to use the PNG Rasterizer Writer, but I get an error in all my FME2017 versions:

Undefined macro `GIF_OUT_MINX_PNG_1' dereferenced in file `D:\Projecten\Intern - FME knowledge\Issue 43262 - png text rotation\02_fme\wb-xlate-1501075765145_12796'
Program Terminating 

I also tried FME2016 and there I can reproduce your issue. I think the issue should be filed as a bug.

And apparently the option/writer isn't being used widely. But I do think using the MapnikRasterizer transformer and using a regular PNG writer would solve the issue

Besides a png write there is also png rasterizer writer.

You can feed it text, rasters and vectors directly. It takes care of rasterizing.

The text appears, only it refuses to be rotated.

Might it be a bug? Then can I assume it is not used much?

I also tried FME2016 and there I can reproduce your issue. I think the issue should be filed as a bag, possibly as well as my issue.

And apparently the option/writer isn't being used widely. But I do think using the MapnikRasterizer transformer and using a regular PNG writer would solve the issue

..lol,

So FME 2017 has not improved on it?

aah..your response is faster.

OK, bug report it should be then.

tx, for lookin into it!

Greetings

I tried to use the PNG Rasterizer Writer, but I get an error in all my FME2017 versions:

Undefined macro `GIF_OUT_MINX_PNG_1' dereferenced in file `D:\Projecten\Intern - FME knowledge\Issue 43262 - png text rotation\02_fme\wb-xlate-1501075765145_12796'
Program Terminating 

I think this issue is caused by using a 64bit workbench in stead of 32bit and should not be considered as a bug.

32 bit on 64 issue?

But the rasterizer works, it just refuses to rotate text objects.

Sounds like flawed programming to me.

I think this issue is caused by using a 64bit workbench in stead of 32bit and should not be considered as a bug.

Contrary to my previous reply, the issue persits also in 32bit version. At least when opened from the version I previously saved in the 64bit version.

Another one I saved from the 2016 version does work. Kind of confused here.

Contrary to my previous reply, the issue persits also in 32bit version. At least when opened from the version I previously saved in the 64bit version.

Another one I saved from the 2016 version does work. Kind of confused here.

So, do we report it?

Appears to exist prior to me stumbling on it..

Program Terminating 

I do not thing this one needs reporting. When created from a 32bit environment there are no issues. Just something to keep in mind, unless it should also work on 64bit. 

@redgeographics

..?

I don't consider the issue solved. It is obviously not.

It's an alternative and therefore I reject the posted "best answer", I still can't rotate text using a png rasterizer.

><

My solution is, not using the png rasterizer.

@redgeographics

..?

I don't consider the issue solved. It is obviously not.

It's an alternative and therefore I reject the posted "best answer", I still can't rotate text using a png rasterizer.

><

My solution is, not using the png rasterizer.

I think the MapnikRasterizer, in combination with the PNG writer, would be an acceptable workaround for the time being. Is there a reason why you don't want to use that?

I did not ask for an alternative.

The only correct answer is:

"Rotation in the png rasterizer writer does not work"

Hi @gio,

The PNG Rasterizer writer is a very old writer, created before FME had raster handling capabilities, and so is quite limited. There is no automatic interpretation of the FME text properties except for the text string.

By default, the gif_font used is gif_font_small, which is a bitmap font, and does not support rotation, height, boldness, or justification. As documented, these properties are only supported if one of the Hershey vector fonts is chosen for gif_font.

The combination of the rasterizer transformers and the regular PNG writer is far more powerful than the PNG Rasterizer writer, and is what I would recommend for any new workspaces.

Hi @gio,

The PNG Rasterizer writer is a very old writer, created before FME had raster handling capabilities, and so is quite limited. There is no automatic interpretation of the FME text properties except for the text string.

By default, the gif_font used is gif_font_small, which is a bitmap font, and does not support rotation, height, boldness, or justification. As documented, these properties are only supported if one of the Hershey vector fonts is chosen for gif_font.

The combination of the rasterizer transformers and the regular PNG writer is far more powerful than the PNG Rasterizer writer, and is what I would recommend for any new workspaces.

Finally a relevant and to the point answer.

It's old useless and should be removed from the library.

Yes, I do use the regular png writer when needed (without any mapnik)

Also, according to old Scottish lore....There can only be one! (best answer)

;)