Skip to main content
HI,

I'm using the pdf2D writer in FME Workbecnh 2011 to create a bunch of maps.

I'd like to use the fanout feature on my pdf writer, however when i add a pdf_type of pdf_text to the writer it crashes fme.exe when the writer starts to open I think.  If i remove this pdf_type, by stroking the text then i can write the pdf with fanout, however if i drop the fanout i can write the pdf with text!

I'm not sure it's a bug in the writer as such as I can create a much simpler workbench and write text.

The bits i've dropped im my simple workbench that work are adding multiple pages, altering the page size to A4 portrait and landscape.

I'll keep plodding though the workbench until i break my simple  workbench and hopefully incover the problem, however i thought i'd ask here in case anyone has suffered a similar issue when writing pdf's? (in 2011 - as my server instance is still 2011)

Nick
Think it might be having multiple pdf2D writers in the workbench.  dropped one from my complex workbench and it worked, added 2 into my simple workbench and if bombed.

It's odd that this behaviour only arises when writing pdf_text  to the writer, however I think I can work around this now, as if i'm using fanout I don't need 2 writers!

Nick

Actually you can have multiple writers in a bench.

A pdf is a dataset.

if you insert a pdf writer and set a datasetname and location, you can use this as much as u want in one writer. Renaming the featuretype will ad layers in the same dataset.

The bombing can also occur when the timing in the workbench is not correct concerning delivering data to the wirter.

If u  dont use a workspacecaller, mostly pdf-writer will collect data until its ready then write out all the fanned-out pdf's in one go. This can consume quite a lot of memory, depending on the offered content.

Check out my dircet pdf creator and count the writers:

It writes tabels, text, 2d graphics, a geomap, headers date, etc. per page.

All directly from datasources, no templates used.

This one generates close to 200 pages, runs for some 2-3 hrs.

So i assume you have another issue.

Gio