Skip to main content

Hi. I'm trying to convert a mesh model from OBJ to Cesium, there are some problems occurred.

1. The SRS of OBJ is EPSG 2326, but FME shows error when reprojecting model to EPSG 4978 for Cesium model. I tried enable and disable Reprojector, but it still return error "could not create reprojection engine".

2. So I re-create the OBJ mesh in SRS 4978 for conversion. Then I added the result (in Cesium) to web page, my model cannot be shown.

Did anyone successfully convert OBJ to Cesium using FME? Where can I find some resources or sample workbench file of this conversion?

Hi @ben_nion, possibly the OBJ format doesn't support to store coordinate system information within its dataset. Try setting the correct coordinate system - EPSG:2326 to the OBJ feature explicitly through the Coordinate System parameter in the OBJ reader or the CoordinateSystemSetter transformer

Hi @ben_nion, possibly the OBJ format doesn't support to store coordinate system information within its dataset. Try setting the correct coordinate system - EPSG:2326 to the OBJ feature explicitly through the Coordinate System parameter in the OBJ reader or the CoordinateSystemSetter transformer

Thanks for reply.

Even I set EPSG:2326 for OBJ, its still unsuccessful to reproject to EPSG:4978.

However, if I choose EPSG:2326 to EPSG:4326 in reprojector, it successfully converted to Cesium.

I don't know why but this problem is solved. Thanks.

Good to hear.

Since EPSG:4978 is a geocentric coordinate system, the Reprojector isn't available. If necessary, you can use the CsmapReprojector with an appropriate vertical handling option.

However, I think the Cerium 3D Tiles writer performs the reprojection automatically if the source feature has a coordinate system definition, so I think you need to just set EPSG:2326 to the source dataset. That is, you don't need to use either Reprojector or CsmapReprojector to perform reprojection explicitly.