Skip to main content

I am trying to convert Microstation V8 geometry files to feature classes using Data Interoperability in ArcGIS 10.3. My current workflow begins with the export to LandXML files from Microstation. This gives me a file of closed geometries that are read as polylines - but the LandXML file only shows one record for each geometry. [Think a multi-sided closed figure that has one record with all of the attributes such as name but is recognized by ArcGIS as a single multi-segment polyline.]

I need to be able to read this geometry as polygons and keep the attribute information. AreaBuilder eliminates the attributes and I don't think that is what is necessary since the figures are closed (within a tolerance factor). Any suggestions?

Hi @tsurveyor - That sounds like an annoying problem. The AreaBuilder has been made smarter in more recent versions of FME to handle attributes better but that won't help you here - For your case I would try the GeometryCoercer transformer and set the Geometry Type to fme_polygon in your case here. This should give you polygons without getting rid of your attributes.

Hi @tsurveyor - That sounds like an annoying problem. The AreaBuilder has been made smarter in more recent versions of FME to handle attributes better but that won't help you here - For your case I would try the GeometryCoercer transformer and set the Geometry Type to fme_polygon in your case here. This should give you polygons without getting rid of your attributes.

Matt, you are AWESOME! That did the trick. Out of 360 records, 46 did not convert but I'm sure that's because they are out of tolerance. So I just have 46 to go back to. Thank you for your help!

Matt, once again you nailed it. That got me down to 11 alignments that have real problems. I sent those back to be fixed. Excellent. I already have a beta up and running.