Skip to main content

Is there currently any way to get FME to work with ESRI enterprise geodatabase objects that have Arcade expressions? We'd really like to customize our feature popups and Arcade is the only language to code them in in ArcPro. But if we do that, it appears we can no longer use FME to translate data into the features. (We get same message "The item does not have a definition" as we got when we tried to run an FME translation last year after adding an attribute rule to a feature using Arcade in ArcPro.)

Here's an example (Note that we added custom popups to FireServiceConnection yesterday.):

2019-03-19 09:58:26| 41.9| 0.6|ERROR |An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'sde.FireServiceConnection'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147211773'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The item does not have a definition.}

I saw an idea https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/76658/add-readerwriter-support-for-esri-arcade-expressio.html was added last year for this functionality.

@takashi The "Ask an Expert" tool doesn't seem to be working, so hope you don't mind me tagging you this way. I'd ideally like to get an answer to this question today. If the answer is no, we'll have to remove the custom popups we had added.

Hi Angela

This is a known issue that has been filed as: FMEENGINE-56280

We don't currently have a timeline for when the functionality will become available.

I've attached this question posting to the existing issue and will update this post as more information becomes available.

Hi Angela

This is a known issue that has been filed as: FMEENGINE-56280

We don't currently have a timeline for when the functionality will become available.

I've attached this question posting to the existing issue and will update this post as more information becomes available.

Workaround Update: There is a workaround that we were able to find that allowed for reading Geodatabases with Arcade expressions. You should be able to read Arcade expressions, if:
  • You do not have ArcGIS Desktop Background Geoprocessing installed.
  • You do have ArcGIS Pro installed and licensed.
  • You're using an x64 (64-bit Windows) build of FME Desktop.

Let me know if you try the above and are unable to read the Geodatabase, we can take a look to see why this was not working etc.

I have removed the Arcade expressions now, but I still can't get our critical workspaces to run. @trentatsafe My trouble-shooting and attempts to get them working again have included the following. I'll continue troubleshooting, but would really appreciate any tips/advice you can give me.

1. UnVersioning and re-versioning the (2) feature datasets that contain the affected features.

2. In one of the workspaces, re-adding the SDE writer with its 5 feature classes (was able to add just fine but seems really tricky to get the settings the way I had them on the Writer before - with Writer Mode as “Insert”).

3. Ran the following:

indexing

compress

gets statistics

4. Adding a main feature in a ArcPro (worked fine)

5. Created a new workspace (called TEST_fix.fmw) and tried writing a single line feature I created (using Creator transformer) and writing it to Main, but still got the error below

2019-03-21 10:31:42| 4.4| 0.9|ERROR |An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'sde.Main'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147211773'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The item does not have a definition.}

2019-03-21 10:31:43| 5.3| 0.9|ERROR |An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'sde.Main'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147211773'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The item does not have a definition.}

2019-03-21 10:31:43| 5.3| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

2019-03-21 10:31:43| 5.3| 0.0|ERROR |A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

I have removed the Arcade expressions now, but I still can't get our critical workspaces to run. @trentatsafe My trouble-shooting and attempts to get them working again have included the following. I'll continue troubleshooting, but would really appreciate any tips/advice you can give me.

1. UnVersioning and re-versioning the (2) feature datasets that contain the affected features.

2. In one of the workspaces, re-adding the SDE writer with its 5 feature classes (was able to add just fine but seems really tricky to get the settings the way I had them on the Writer before - with Writer Mode as “Insert”).

3. Ran the following:

indexing

compress

gets statistics

4. Adding a main feature in a ArcPro (worked fine)

5. Created a new workspace (called TEST_fix.fmw) and tried writing a single line feature I created (using Creator transformer) and writing it to Main, but still got the error below

2019-03-21 10:31:42| 4.4| 0.9|ERROR |An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'sde.Main'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147211773'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The item does not have a definition.}

2019-03-21 10:31:43| 5.3| 0.9|ERROR |An error occurred while attempting to open the table, feature class or relationship class 'sde.Main'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147211773'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The item does not have a definition.}

Hi @angela,

Are you able to view this geodatabase in ArcMap/ArcCatalog? If this geodatabase cannot be viewed in ArcCatalog/ArcMap after removing the Arcade expression that will be helpful to know.

Hi @angela,

Are you able to view this geodatabase in ArcMap/ArcCatalog? If this geodatabase cannot be viewed in ArcCatalog/ArcMap after removing the Arcade expression that will be helpful to know.

Yes, it can be viewed in both. And I was able to edit it in ArcPro also (the only place I tried editing it).

Hi @angela,

Also, I'm able to read the feature in FME.

Also, I'm able to read the feature in FME.

Turns out there was a rogue rule that I hadn't deleted. Once deleted, the translations run.

Hello,

Can you let us know if there has been any progress on this issue? We're coming up against the same issues and errors.

Thank you,

Katrina

I'm pleased to share that an update to FME has resolved FMEENGINE-56280.

You should now be able to read in data with arcade expressions given that you have ArcGIS Pro or a modern version of ArcGIS Server installed. You will also need to be using 64-bit FME. If you have both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop with Background Geoprocessing installed, you may need to change your python compatibility setting to tell FME to use ArcGIS Pro. You can find the fix in the latest official build and the betas: FME Downloads