Skip to main content

Hey everybody,

recently I'm getting into converting 2d autocad plans into a simplified 3d model. So far I'm able to create a model. Now i have checked the tutorial of @daveatsafe in converting a dwg to ifc with rooms but I'm still having a question.

How do I write the autocad layer property to an ifc file that I use in BIM dwg. Because at this moment whatever I'm trying I'm getting all the entities on layer 0.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Hi @andreasb,

You can create a custom property on the IFC Walls to store the AutoCAD layer. However, this may not be honored in the application you are viewing the IFC file in. Which application are you using to view the IFC file?

Hi @andreasb,

You can create a custom property on the IFC Walls to store the AutoCAD layer. However, this may not be honored in the application you are viewing the IFC file in. Which application are you using to view the IFC file?

Hey @daveatsafe

I'm using Bricscad BIM version to load the .ifc file. Any tips for this application?

Hey @daveatsafe

I'm using Bricscad BIM version to load the .ifc file. Any tips for this application?

Hi @andreasb,

Sorry, I've never used it. However, its docs may specify the required property to store the autocad_layer info in.

Hi @andreasb,

Sorry, I've never used it. However, its docs may specify the required property to store the autocad_layer info in.

hi @daveatsafe

What do you mean by its docs? Do you have any pointers where I should look for?

I'm just getting started with IFC and BIM so there is still a lot to learn.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas