Skip to main content
Question

How to update a personal gdb with FME server?

• 13 February 2013
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a workspace that read a personal geodatabase (pgdb) and updates it. That is, it creates no new pgdb, but instead updates the existing one.

How can I solve this in FME Server? The co-workers at my office will use it, but they have no access to the server.

Datadownload service normally does it, but in this case it creates a new pgdb, and I don´t want that.

I have read this article (http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/Data-Download-Service-Writing-to-a-template-ESRI-File-Based-Geodatabase), but it does'nt help me since the pgdb comes in different names and shapes.

Any ideas?

Regards

Hans
Hi again,

Maybe I should be more specific.

The workspace is the same as I described before, it reads a personal geodatabase (pgdb) and updates it. ie it writes to the same database as it reads from.

When I use this workspace with the jobsubmitter service the pgdb remains at FME Server where the users can´t access it.

An example:

Reads from: C: \\ Apps \\ FMEServer \\ Server \\ Upload \\ test.fmw \\ 041BD33B92AA7D0625B7D1D2842464CE \\ test.mdb

Writes to: C: \\ Apps \\ FMEServer \\ Server \\ Upload \\ test.fmw \\ 041BD33B92AA7D0625B7D1D2842464CE \\ test.mdb

If I use the datadownload service the workspace will not be able to update the pgdb since datadownload service does not write to the same place as it reads from.

An example:

Reads from:C: \\ Apps \\ FMEServer \\ Server \\ Upload \\ test.fmw \\ 041BD33B92AA7D0625B7D1D2842464CE \\ test.mdb

Write to: c: \\ Progra ~ 1 \\ Apache Software Foundation \\ Tomcat 6.0 \\ webapps \\ ROOT \\ fmedatadownloadresults \\ FME_67751915_1360752739462_1664 \\

How can I solve this? Is there a solution?

Regards

Hans
Can you not put the file on a shared drive accessible by Server and users?
Hi Mark,

I am working on that solution.

The problem is that we have two different domains. One with all the employees computers and one with the FME Server and other products. So it is a bit difficult.

But still it shouldn´t be this difficult to update a personal gdb with FME Server. It feels like I have missed something...there should be another way to do it...?

Regards

Hans