Skip to main content

I need to update an ArcGIS Online feature service using something other than 'OBJECTID' field. In previous versions, I was able to set the "Update Key Field" in the 'Properties' dialog box of the AGOL Writer. In 2017.1 that option is gone. I can't find any documentation or examples on how to set the Update Key Field to something else.

Any suggestions?

If you create an attribute called fme_where, and set it to <update field name> = <update field value>, it is the same as setting the "Update Key Field"

For example, if my Update Key Field is called ASSET_ID, I want the following in an AttributeCreator (or AttributeManager):

If you create an attribute called fme_where, and set it to <update field name> = <update field value>, it is the same as setting the "Update Key Field"

For example, if my Update Key Field is called ASSET_ID, I want the following in an AttributeCreator (or AttributeManager):

I tried creating the 'fme_where' attribute both in an AttributeManager and AttributeCreator transformer and I keep getting this error:

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Encountered a feature for feature type 'AWOS Data' that is missing the ID attribute 'OBJECTID'. This attribute is required when in UPDATE or DELETE mode

Per the documentation, it appears 'OBJECTID' field the "Key Update Field". I don't want to use that. Any other suggestions?

I tried creating the 'fme_where' attribute both in an AttributeManager and AttributeCreator transformer and I keep getting this error:

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Encountered a feature for feature type 'AWOS Data' that is missing the ID attribute 'OBJECTID'. This attribute is required when in UPDATE or DELETE mode

Per the documentation, it appears 'OBJECTID' field the "Key Update Field". I don't want to use that. Any other suggestions?

Can you expose the following format attributes, please, and let me know what the values are?

arcgisonline_objectid

arcgisonline_globalid

I do not have a way to test this, but you might be able to set arcgisonline_objectid to the name of the new update key field.

Can you expose the following format attributes, please, and let me know what the values are?

arcgisonline_objectid

arcgisonline_globalid

I do not have a way to test this, but you might be able to set arcgisonline_objectid to the name of the new update key field.

I exposed the arcgisonline_objectid attribute and it matches the OBJECTID in the feature service. I don't use GlobalIDs so nothing is there. See attached.

Again, I don't want to update using the ObjectID. There must some replacement in 2017.1 for assigning a Key Column field that isn't ObjectID for an ArcGIS Online Writer.

I exposed the arcgisonline_objectid attribute and it matches the OBJECTID in the feature service. I don't use GlobalIDs so nothing is there. See attached.

Again, I don't want to update using the ObjectID. There must some replacement in 2017.1 for assigning a Key Column field that isn't ObjectID for an ArcGIS Online Writer.

According to the Update information in the writer documentation, here, it looks like the Update Key Field has to be the OBJECTID. Maybe, someone from Safe can confirm?

Hi @mmccart, according to relevant documentations, it seems that the ArcGIS Online Feature Service writer always requires that the Object ID will be used as primary key when you update or delete existing features. If you need to update features that match some conditions other than Object ID, you can once read the features that match the conditions and then update them using their Object ID.

This article might help you: How do I write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service?

Hi @mmccart, according to relevant documentations, it seems that the ArcGIS Online Feature Service writer always requires that the Object ID will be used as primary key when you update or delete existing features. If you need to update features that match some conditions other than Object ID, you can once read the features that match the conditions and then update them using their Object ID.

This article might help you: How do I write updates to an existing ArcGIS Online feature service?

The way I have always done it, is to upload all the data to AGOL, then download the unique key field(s) with the Object ID as a CSV or excel sheet. Then join the CSV up with the live data and replace the objectID with the ObjectID from the CSV that is tied to the one on AGOL. This is a super clunky way of doing things, especially when you have data that might change, but it gets the job done... Maybe something that SAFE could improve on? @mmccart