Skip to main content

I downloaded some soil data from here. Included in the data is an ESRI shapefile and a .style file, which I can open in ArcMap to style my layer. However, I can't figure out how to open this file in FME. There doesn't seem to be the right format in the reader. Since I want to do this multiple times, I want to figure out how to automate the styling progress with FME to let's say create a kml-file with the correct styling in the end. Is there a way to open this file in FME?

It's a proprietary binary format so unfortunately the answer is no, you can't use this in FME.

This means that if you want to automatically style a KML you'll have to set that whole process up yourself.

It's a proprietary binary format so unfortunately the answer is no, you can't use this in FME.

This means that if you want to automatically style a KML you'll have to set that whole process up yourself.

Thanks for the reply. Are ESRI .styles in general proprietary or is it just from this specific source?

Because if it is the .style format in general I would imagine there is a bigger use-case for my issue...

Thanks for the reply. Are ESRI .styles in general proprietary or is it just from this specific source?

Because if it is the .style format in general I would imagine there is a bigger use-case for my issue...

I think it's ESRI-specific and would be surprised if they'd open that up (vendor lock-in).