• 8 replies

Badge +10

Hi. Can FME workbench read a .gws file? I only found this link

https://community.safe.com/s/article/fme-and-intergraph-geomedia-compatibility

Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +27

GWS is a Geomedia configuration file, similar to an MXD in Arc. It doesn't actually store any data. What are you hoping to read from it?

Badge +10

GWS is a Geomedia configuration file, similar to an MXD in Arc. It doesn't actually store any data. What are you hoping to read from it?

I will have .gws and .mdb file as input. I need to create a shapefile from these files. This is a map creation from the old system. The .gws and .mdb file are the source data of each map.

Userlevel 3
Badge +27

I will have .gws and .mdb file as input. I need to create a shapefile from these files. This is a map creation from the old system. The .gws and .mdb file are the source data of each map.

@fmesafe.podpora​ You would use simply use the .mdb file for conversion to shapefile. If you are wondering about the symbology in Geomedia, FME does not have the ability to read the symbology used in the GWS. That would need to be recreated in the software you will be using to display the shapefiles.

Badge +10

I was afraid of that. I need to concatenate this symbology with the .mdb to create a single file, probably shapefile. So it's not possible.

Userlevel 3
Badge +27

I'm afraid not. I worked on this very problem a couple years back. I tried exporting the Geomedia styles to an external file (SLD I believe?), which I was able to accomplish. But the road block was getting that information into a ESRI-usable format. At the end of the day, it was quicker just to recreate.

Badge +10

hmm, I don't like hearing that. For me, it would be faster to come to some kind of solution, since this conversion affects more than 600 maps. Can you tell me about your SLD solution?

Userlevel 3
Badge +27

The SLD was never really a solution, as I couldn't get the information into ESRI. So with the 600 maps, are they all the same symbology? If they are all the same, then you would only need to build the symbology into the MXD/ArcPro map once, and then update the data source of the layers (shapefiles) for each map...essentially a template. That would certainly be easier than rebuilding the symbology 600 times. Here are some resources on that:

Update data sources—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Changing the data sources for map layers—ArcMap | Documentation (arcgis.com)

Badge +10

If I understand correctly, if I create the symbology in MXD/ArcPro, then I can then link this symbology to the .mdb file and save it to a shapefile within the FME workspace? I'll think about it. Thanks for knowledge.