Skip to main content

Hi all

I've got a simple workspace that's using a generic reader to read an input shapefile or csv file. I've added a csv reader as a workspace resource so that I can set the csv reader parameters and apply them to the generic reader when the input file is csv.

Works fine when tested in Desktop. The column names come through as attributes as expected. When I publish the workspace to Cloud and run using the same data, it looks like the workspace resource is ignored, the csv reader parameter settings are not applied and the attribute names come through as col0, col1, col2, etc.

My FME versions are:

Desktop: FME(R) 2016.1.0.0 (20160419 - Byuild 16492 - WIN32)

Cloud: FME Server 2017.0.1.1 - Build 17291 - linux-x64

I've attached my test workspace and data.

Hopefully someone can test it to either confirm the issue or let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers

Rob

In the screendump it looks like the CSV-file always have the same structure. There is an option 'Field names follow header' that is turned of. It might be the solution to turn it on.

I know that the Excel reader has an option to 'Apply current settings to additional files', but one is not available for CSV files. Also the CSV Reader has significantly changed in 2017, maybe that will solve your problem as well.

In the screendump it looks like the CSV-file always have the same structure. There is an option 'Field names follow header' that is turned of. It might be the solution to turn it on.

I know that the Excel reader has an option to 'Apply current settings to additional files', but one is not available for CSV files. Also the CSV Reader has significantly changed in 2017, maybe that will solve your problem as well.

I've tested with the "Field names follow header' selected too and it made no difference. Also played with the Header Lines to Skip parameter and that didn't help either. It seems like the CSV Workspace Resource is completely ignored by the Generic reader.

Hi @rkay,

we were able to reproduce this issue and it looks like FME 2017 does not handle the Workspace resources, that were created in FME 2016, correctly. I filed a report to fix this and will let you know as soon as we have an update on this.

A possible workaround, for now, would be to open the workspace in FME Desktop 2017, remove the Workspace Resource and add the CSV Workspace Resource again. Now the workspace should work as expected once you publish it to FME Cloud.

Thanks for reporting this!

UPDATE:

This is currently not planned to be fixed, but here is another possible workaround:

Use 2016 to change the GENERIC reader's input format to CSV. Then, even when run with 2017 or later, the reader format and the workspace resource format will match.

Hi @rkay,

we were able to reproduce this issue and it looks like FME 2017 does not handle the Workspace resources, that were created in FME 2016, correctly. I filed a report to fix this and will let you know as soon as we have an update on this.

A possible workaround, for now, would be to open the workspace in FME Desktop 2017, remove the Workspace Resource and add the CSV Workspace Resource again. Now the workspace should work as expected once you publish it to FME Cloud.

Thanks for reporting this!

UPDATE:

This is currently not planned to be fixed, but here is another possible workaround:

Use 2016 to change the GENERIC reader's input format to CSV. Then, even when run with 2017 or later, the reader format and the workspace resource format will match.

Thanks @GerhardAtSafe