Skip to main content

Hi guys,

Hope you are well. I am just trying to figure out what would be the best way of doing this and if FME has a method. I understand Arcmap can do this but may take sometime.

I have a shapefile generated which has a chainage of a road with various chainage parts/distances. I then have a spreadsheet which contains 40 records which has a start chainage and end chainage.

What i require is to create X & Y coordinates for the start chainage and end chainage within the chainage of the shapefile for the spreadsheet. So basically this spreadsheet will then have another column with the X and Y coordinates.

What would be the best process to do this? Is there a specific transformer that can be used to create these points?

Start Chainage

End Chainage153150154340

You can use a Snipper to cut the line to the required start and end chainage, then two CoordinateExtractor sto get the start and end coordinates (indices 0 and -1 respectively).

You can use a Snipper to cut the line to the required start and end chainage, then two CoordinateExtractor sto get the start and end coordinates (indices 0 and -1 respectively).

Thanks. In the original shapefile i already have the start and end chainage in terms of the data. My issue is with the spreadsheet, is there some way to join the data to that and for it to generate the points?

Hey @fazsnatch,

This is something we have managed to here at miso / Dotted Eyes on a couple of Highways project. Happy to show you what we have done if it helps.

Tom