Skip to main content
Solved

From GIS to Wavefront obj via FME

• 28 February 2013
  • 1 reply

hello everyone

I don't have good experience with FME,  but i need to use it in my Master thesis project.

The thing is i am developing an iPad App, one of the most important parts in this App is to send the GPS latitude, longitude to the GIS server (via FME) then get the GIS data related to that GPS location in a Wavefront obj file (in 3D) (ALSO  via  FME).   So could you please provide me with any pointers to start. Any tutorials that explain this communication. I am using Objective c as the main programming language and also java for the servers. 

Many thanx for the help

Cheers

Saif ALSAIFI
If I understand you correctly, you need an FME workspace that reads a Lat/Lon coordinate and then generates a Wavefront file?

If so, here is a possible solution:
  • Create a workspace with the Lat/Lon coordinates as published parameters
  • Insert a Writer for the Wavefront output
  • In the workspace, insert a Creator to start the processing. Reference the Lat/Lon published parameter values where necessary.
  • Construct the Wavefront data using the FME transformers and output it to the Writer
  • Publish the workspace to FME Server
If this is greek to you, I would highly recommend you look into either taking a course (at some cost) or to get cracking on the excellent documentation available (free, but will probably take longer to get to the same level).

I would also recommend catching some of the very helpful FME webinars, particularly the weekly "FME overview" and "FME Server overview", see http://www.safe.com/learning/webinars/

Good luck, and feel free to ask again along the way.

David