Skip to main content

Can someone help me with the best process for getting FME
2015 64-bit working with the ArcSDE30 reader?The process outlined in the knowledge base article on this issue (here)
is rather cumbersome for a general FME user (one that isn’t also the SDE
administrator).The knowledge base
article calls for one to install the SDE SDK, however when I search the ESRI
site I don’t see where I can get this.The only solution I could find was to download and install the ArcGIS
Server for Windows software on my local PC. I was lucky enough that I’m high
enough in my organization to have access to the ESRI downloads for their
products, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to do this.Does ESRI still make the SDE SDK?If so where is the download for it? Is there
a plan to make this more streamlined with FME 2016?I would think that ArcGIS Pro would have the 64-bit
DLL’s that FME needs so maybe you all could plug into that instead of requiring
this rather hard to find install.

Just out of interest, do you need the 64-bit of FME rather than the 32-bit one? I just have both installed side-by-side, and use the 32-bit version for anything Esri-related, and I've never noticed a performance hit.

@andrew_r is correct in that it isn't (or wasn't in the past) easy to setup FME 64 bit to work with the ArcSDE30 reader. We do need 64 bit DLLs to allow this format to work with an SDE Geodatabase and these used to only be available via the SDE SDK.

However, now, there are a number of different choices.

- 32 bit ArcGIS Desktop with the Esri Background Geoprocessing Module (which is 64 bit)

- ArcGIS Pro (which is 64 bit)

or

- ArcGIS Server for Windows (which is 64 bit).

Our article does need updating to include this information - it is on the list.

@rollo is also correct in that 32 bit FME can be installed side-by-side, and share the same license file as the 64 bit version. In any testing we have done there is little difference in the performance between the two versions.

In general we also recommend using the Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE) format rather than the older Esri ArcSDE (SDE30) format - see here for a comparison between the two.

The only other complication is that ArcGIS Pro cannot be used if you are attempting this solution for an install of 64 bit FME Server.