Skip to main content
Question

FME Server admin/user interface not fully visible from VM

• 21 February 2013
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a FME Server 2012 installed on a virtual machine. When accessing the user and admin interface from my machine everything is ok.

When accessing the user and admin interface directly on the VM these are just partially visible/usable, eg:

- User interface: I can browse to a file and select it, but the "upload files" button stays grey and not usable.

- Admin interface: I can only see the info in the admin home tab. All other tabs are there but clicking them shows nothing, only the page header (tabs, FME logo,...)

Any ideas on this? I would think it is about VM settings somewhere but I have no clue where to start looking...

thx,

Rob
I can't offer an answer but I did use a demo setup of FME Server on a VM (VMWare on a Mac) for a while and gave up because the VM security was a pain. It's one additional level of complexity that you're introducing.

However, that (i.e. VM security settings) would be a good place to check. Other than that browser/OS/Java version might be a cause.
Also the application triggering FME Server was not showing the download zip.

In order to fix that I changed a security setting of the browser (IE) and additionally all issues mentioned in the first post are resolved now.

Tools > Internet Options > Security (tab) > Internet > Custom Level > Downloads > File Download > enable

Hi Rob, Just so we are clear is this issue resolved for you now?  If not, can you answer a couple of quick questions: - what version of IE - when  you say "When accessing the user and admin interface directly on the VM..." do you mean you remote desktop to the VM and then use the browser?  Are you using the standard Windows remote desktop client?   Thanks Ken
Hi Ken,

Indeed, the issue is resolved but nevertheless the additional info:

- IE 8.0.7601.17514

- Indeed, via teh standard windows remote desktop tot the VM and then opening the admin/user interface in IE

Th point is that the interface is now fully usable but I do not see the link with the setting I changed in the browser.
Hi Rob

The person who did the GUI work for the 2013 WebUI (also named Rob) had a look at this post and said:

"When you access websites through localhost instead of the actual hostname, IE 9 and earlier versions often add some strange security restrictions. The FME Server 2013 WebUI has a special tag to prevent this from happening on these browsers."

Hi Ken,

Thx for the info!

Regards!