Skip to main content

I am attempting to convert a DXF/DWG file into the IMDF format. Following the instructions outlined in the first and second articles, I have successfully preprocessed and located the DXF file.

However, I am encountering an issue at part 3 of the process. The Reader does not seem to be reading any features as expected.

The tutorial I'm following can be found here

One thing, I updated the reader format from Autodesk AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF to Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF.

Because I could not load module '/Library/FME/2023.2/plugins/realdwg/realdwg.so' .

But i do not think that causes the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in troubleshooting this problem. Thank you.

I found the solution.
Check the Read External References to allow the reader to read the located ref file.

This presentation from last year might be of interest to you: https://engage.safe.com/presentations/producing-apple-imdf-datasets-fme/

I’ve tempted to create IMDF from DWG files myself a couple of years ago, and unfortunately it was a never-ending battle between the very different conceptual ideas behind those two data formats. Ultimately, we were not successful in fully automating the creation of an IMDF file that was valid both for the technical validation routine and the internal validation done by someone at Apple (this was the biggest hurdle, actually, as they have extremely strict topology rules and requirements for referential integrity). In our case, the data would need considerable manual work to be accepted for use in Apple Maps and the project was ultimately abandoned.

Please do let us know here if you have better luck!