Solved

Automation: use parameters in filename of email attachement

• 6 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +6
  • Contributor
  • 53 replies

I want to create an automation in FME Server for a user to validate his data.

He sends in an email with his data as attachement and the topic of the validation as part of the email subject.

In the workbench, the email subject is parsed and the topic is kept as an attribute. At the end a logfile is written with the name: topic.log (I do this with a fanout in the writer).

This logfile I want to send back to the sender of the email as an attachement. But to attach the file to the email, I have to fill in its path and I don't know the filename at this point. How can I pass the value of "topic" (=filename) as parameter to the Automation, so that I could use it in the "Email Details"?

(I'm using FME Server 2019.0)

Thanks, Vera

icon

Best answer by david_r 7 August 2019, 09:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4

At the current stage (2019.1) and for your use case I would recommend that you use the Email transformer inside your workspace and not the email functionality in the automation.

Hi,

Any changes regarding this theme in 2020 version of FME Server?
Badge +2

Hi,

Any changes regarding this theme in 2020 version of FME Server?

Hi @vadis,

Yes in FME 2020 we introduced the FME Server Automations Writer. This writer enables you to parse Feature Type and attribute information out of a workspace to be used downstream within your Automation workflow.

This means if you'd prefer to use the Email Action in FME Server as opposed to the Emailer transformer, you can parse out an attribute from the workspace to the automation that holds the file path and use this in the email attachment configuration. The most recent comment on this Idea as well as this Article runs through some examples of how to use this new writer.