Skip to main content
Question

Set Default Location for FME Server Download Repository Item

• 25 October 2017
  • 2 replies

When I download an FME script from FME Server, the Save local copy dialog defaults to the My Documents\\My FME Server Workspaces folder. I would rather have it default to a certain folder in my workstation. I don't see any setting in the options of FME Desktop 2016 that would allow me to do that. Is it possible?

Hi @jimo,

Seems you are onto something. It would be nice for FME to recognize the Default Workspace Folder at least, as configured in FME Options>Default Paths but it seems to ignore this in 2016.1.3. There is no ability to set the default folder to download FME Server workspaces... FME automatically wants to go to the location you've mentioned (...\\My FME Server Workspaces).

The capability hasn't been added to 2017 and 2018 either. In fact, I checked in 2017.1 & 2018 beta and the default save feature has been changed... FME Options>Workbench>Save Options where you now can tell FME to save your workspace to one of 2 places (in a default fashion).

1. Last Workspace Directory
  2. Last Data Directory

The behaviour is still not quite what you'd like.

I see another limitation with the new functionality in that if you spend 90% of your time working in developer folder location on a network share (say a DEV location) and then you must do some work in another location that has a very similar looking folder structure ( but it is for STAGING) it might become easy to save a file in the wrong location (in a worst case scenario).

Perhaps you can post an Idea for what you are looking for?

Hi @jimo,

Seems you are onto something. It would be nice for FME to recognize the Default Workspace Folder at least, as configured in FME Options>Default Paths but it seems to ignore this in 2016.1.3. There is no ability to set the default folder to download FME Server workspaces... FME automatically wants to go to the location you've mentioned (...\\My FME Server Workspaces).

The capability hasn't been added to 2017 and 2018 either. In fact, I checked in 2017.1 & 2018 beta and the default save feature has been changed... FME Options>Workbench>Save Options where you now can tell FME to save your workspace to one of 2 places (in a default fashion).

1. Last Workspace Directory
  2. Last Data Directory

The behaviour is still not quite what you'd like.

I see another limitation with the new functionality in that if you spend 90% of your time working in developer folder location on a network share (say a DEV location) and then you must do some work in another location that has a very similar looking folder structure ( but it is for STAGING) it might become easy to save a file in the wrong location (in a worst case scenario).

Perhaps you can post an Idea for what you are looking for?

My worst case scenario was meant to highlight that I'm not sure its a good idea for the default save location to be changing based on these states... rather there should be a way to choose where the default location might be so you can anticipate where you are going to start from when saving a workspace for the first time, and in Jimo's case where an FME Server workspace could be downloaded to.