Question

IMAP Trigger - Email Credentials for a Shared Mailbox

• 17 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble getting an email trigger to work inside an Automation, which is accessing a Shared Mailbox.

I am able to authenticate using my email address/password combination via the same IMAP server details, so can rule out the connection between FME Server and the mail server.

When accessing a shared mailbox, what are the correct credentials to use in an IMAP trigger?

Typically that mailbox will be shared to users, and not have it's own dedicated password. That makes me think that one of the FME Server System Services is the account which is authenticating with the mailbox, and to use the email account with no password populated inside of the trigger. Is this the case? And which system service would be authenticating with the mailbox?

When following this action, I get an error saying 'Invalid Credentials'.

Am I right in thinking that one of the system services is acting as the authenticated user to the shared mailbox?

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @kieran.odonnell​, sorry to hear you're having trouble with shared mailboxes.

From what I know, system services are not used for the shared mailbox authentication, so it shouldn't be interfering with it. You should be able to use the same login credentials that you regularly use when logging into and accessing the shared mailbox.

Badge

Hi @kieran.odonnell​, sorry to hear you're having trouble with shared mailboxes.

From what I know, system services are not used for the shared mailbox authentication, so it shouldn't be interfering with it. You should be able to use the same login credentials that you regularly use when logging into and accessing the shared mailbox.

Hi Dan, thanks for the response.

That's good to know that the system service aren't being used in the authentication.

That poses an issue though, as I want to use the IMAP trigger to work when an email is received in the shared mailbox. So if I put my own credentials in, which would be how I access the shared mailbox - it will try trigger when I receive the email rather than the shared mailbox.

Example Scenario:

My email: kieran@mycompany.com

Shared mailbox: incidents@mycompany.com

When logged in as kieran@mycompany.com, I have permission to read emails from incidents@mycompany.com. kieran@ has a password, but incidents@ does not.

So on the IMAP trigger, what details do I need to include to act when emails come to incidents@mycompany.com?

Badge +10

Hi Dan, thanks for the response.

That's good to know that the system service aren't being used in the authentication.

That poses an issue though, as I want to use the IMAP trigger to work when an email is received in the shared mailbox. So if I put my own credentials in, which would be how I access the shared mailbox - it will try trigger when I receive the email rather than the shared mailbox.

Example Scenario:

My email: kieran@mycompany.com

Shared mailbox: incidents@mycompany.com

When logged in as kieran@mycompany.com, I have permission to read emails from incidents@mycompany.com. kieran@ has a password, but incidents@ does not.

So on the IMAP trigger, what details do I need to include to act when emails come to incidents@mycompany.com?

Hello @kieran.odonnell​ 

I'm in the same boat. Did you manage to resolve your issue?

I'd be interested to know your workaround, in any.

Cheers

Sameer