Question

How I can use 'FME Server Automation Writer' to pass data to other Workbench in FME Server?

• 4 November 2020
  • 6 replies

fmeHi,

I want use automations to concatenate workbenchs published in FME Server. But I want use the result of the first workbench to use in second workbech as a reader data. In first workbench I use a FME Server Automation Writter, but I can't configure the Automation to get my finality. Is possible this scenario?

Thanks!

6 replies

Badge +2

Hi @sguma​ ,

The Automations Writer will need to parse an attribute that contains the file path to the dataset that was written in the workspace.

In filte_geo_pas 1 I'd recommend replacing the writer with a FeatureWriter transformer. This has a Summary output port that includes the attribute _dataset with the value of the path to the newly written file. You can connect the Summary port to the Automation Writer and now the attribute _dataset will be available to use in filte_geo_pas 2.

2020-11-04_09-46-50

Thanks for the reply.

We don't want to pass a file but attributes and published parameters, just as we would do with an FMEServerJobSubmitter. To get things clear our aim is to replace our workspace chains using the old notification system and FMEServerJobSubmitters with the new automations system but I have the feeling there's something we are missing here.

On the other hand, what is the FME Server Automation Writter for, then?

Thank you so much!

Badge +2

Thanks for the reply.

We don't want to pass a file but attributes and published parameters, just as we would do with an FMEServerJobSubmitter. To get things clear our aim is to replace our workspace chains using the old notification system and FMEServerJobSubmitters with the new automations system but I have the feeling there's something we are missing here.

On the other hand, what is the FME Server Automation Writter for, then?

Thank you so much!

Hi @sguma​ ,

Ah - sorry I misunderstood. The Automations Writer is designed to enable workspaces to parse data stored in attributes out of the workspace for use downstream within the Automation workflow.

Therefore your workspace should still look similar to the image I sent above however rather than the FeatureWriter step, simply place the Automation Writer in place of where your FMEServerJobSubmitter transformer was previously, then in the Writer make sure under the User Attributes tab all the attributes you'd like to parse into the next workspace are listed. If you are wanting to send Published Parameters out, you'll need to first convert these to attributes.

Back in FME Server in the Automation on filte_geo_pas 2, select the drop down arrow next to the parameter and select the attributes from your filte_geo_pas 1.

Hi @sguma​ ,

Ah - sorry I misunderstood. The Automations Writer is designed to enable workspaces to parse data stored in attributes out of the workspace for use downstream within the Automation workflow.

Therefore your workspace should still look similar to the image I sent above however rather than the FeatureWriter step, simply place the Automation Writer in place of where your FMEServerJobSubmitter transformer was previously, then in the Writer make sure under the User Attributes tab all the attributes you'd like to parse into the next workspace are listed. If you are wanting to send Published Parameters out, you'll need to first convert these to attributes.

Back in FME Server in the Automation on filte_geo_pas 2, select the drop down arrow next to the parameter and select the attributes from your filte_geo_pas 1.

OK, I'll try this option.

Thanks!!

Badge +6

Hi @sguma​ ,

Did you ever make it work? I am feeling sort of stuck on FMEServerJobSubmitter. Do you need a specific reader for the 2nd workspace?

Badge +2

Hi @sguma​ ,

Hi @mathiku​ ,

If you are working with the Automations Writer feature type, this will format each feature as a single JSON object in GeoJSON format. At this point, in your second workspace, you can either use a JSON or GeoJSON reader to read in the data from the automations writer. Check out this article as it might help to explain how this works.

On the FMEServerJobSubmitter side of things, this would simply be calling another job to run on FME Server within the same workspace. This essentially works the same as the WorkspaceRunner in this article; however, instead of calling a local and running it in another FME instance on your desktop, it will call a job on the server.

Hope that clarifies things!