Skip to main content

Issue: During the Christmas break, one of our automations failed regularly due to an account issue. I did not get any notifications and only upon my return and a manual review did I see this issue.

Question#1 : What is the correct method for tracking automation failures. Can the system send email notifications with the associated error message. If so, how do I do this ( note: my knowledge in the product are still basic )

Question#2 : We are scanning workspace logs from the logs folder , but where are the automation logs ?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Oliver @ EGW

Question #1:

In the Automation you can add a new action after running a workspace. There you choose the action 'Send an email'. And fill in the parameters.

imageQuestion #2: An automation starts a workspace (or several workspaces). The logs of these workspaces you can find in the jobs-menu / jobs-folder. I don't believe there are logs for the automation.

Many thanks @stefanh​ for the quick response.

I have now made the changes to my automations. It's alittle administrative if I had alot of automations , but quiet a simple, customisable solution.

FYI: You can view the log using the Menu on the automation which has the option 'View Log File'. I was hoping to use a workspace to review the log file and send appropriate alerts, hence the question where this data is stored. Probably stored within the FME server Db.

did some digging around and found the logs at

$(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_LOG)/core/current/automations 😀

Glad the issue is solved.

I have seen the 'View Log File' but haven't used it; maybe I should 🙂.

In the past we created a workspace which automatically added the Email-action (with the correct parameters) in an automation. We used an template so every error-email had the same information. This workspace uses the REST-API and an JSON-updater to add / update the Email-action.

Recently we changed this procedure due to the amount of emails we got from the automations. Now we have a daily workspace running that digs through the logfiles and extracts all errors / fails. Then an email with a summary of al the issues is send in the morning.