Question

Unable to read schema from ArcGIS Online Feature Service

• 1 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

Hi All,

Am attempting to read a feature service (actually several) that are open to the public on ArcGIS Online (AGOL).  I have created a new web connection using an existing user in AGOL for our organization (getting a token, client id, etc).

The data that I am attempting to read is the ACS Census data (several different feature services).  When entering the copied URL from the AGOL website, and then attempting to select a layer from the feature service, I get the following errors.  I see that that it is looking in the content of my user, but this data is open to all.  This used to work for me before the changes in the web connections.  Where do I look from here?  I have tried this in FME 2022 and Flow 2024.

Thanks,

Lorinda

Creating reader for format: Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service
Trying to find a PYTHON plugin for reader named `ARCGISONLINEFEATURES'
Using Python interpreter from `C:\Program Files\FME Flow\fmepython312\python312.dll' with PYTHONHOME `C:\Program Files\FME Flow\fmepython312'
Python version 3.12 loaded successfully
Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `C:\Program Files\FME Flow\python\fme-plugins-py312.zip\arcgisonlinefeatures\__init__.pyc'
Creating reader for format: Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service
Trying to find a PYTHON plugin for reader named `ARCGISONLINEFEATURES'
Loaded Python module `arcgisonlinefeatures' from file `C:\Program Files\FME Flow\python\fme-plugins-py312.zip\arcgisonlinefeatures\__init__.pyc'
ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Requesting portal information
ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Searching for all groups in the organization accessible to user 'OpenData_Orlando'
ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Could not find a Feature Service item matching the Feature Service directive 'https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/ACS_Household_Income_Distribution_Centroids/FeatureServer/1'
Python Exception <FeatureServiceNotFound>: FMEException: 928218: ArcGIS Online Feature Service Reader: Could not find a Feature Service item matching the Feature Service directive 'https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/ACS_Household_Income_Distribution_Centroids/FeatureServer/1'
ARCGISONLINEFEATURES reader: An error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'ARCGISONLINEFEATURES' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information
UniversalReader -- readSchema resulted in 0 schema features being returned
Reader Parameter(0) = ><
Reader Parameter(1) = >LIST_NAMES_MODE<
Reader Parameter(1) = >LAYERS<
Reader Parameter(3) = >NC<
Reader Parameter(3) = >opendata_orlando<space>AGOL<
Reader Parameter(5) = >FEATURESERVICE<
Reader Parameter(5) = >https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/ACS_Household_Income_Distribution_Centroids/FeatureServer/1<
Reader Parameter(7) = >RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES<
Reader Parameter(7) = >YES<
Reader Parameter(9) = >_MERGE_SCHEMAS<
Reader Parameter(9) = >YES<
Reader Parameter(11) = >ARCGIS_COMPATIBILITY<
Reader Parameter(11) = >ARCGIS_AUTO<
Reader Directive(0) = >RUNTIME_MACROS<
Reader Directive(1) = >LIST_NAMES_MODE,LAYERS,NC,opendata_orlando<space>AGOL,FEATURESERVICE,https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/ACS_Household_Income_Distribution_Centroids/FeatureServer/1,RETRIEVE_ALL_TABLE_NAMES,YES,_MERGE_SCHEMAS,YES<
UniversalReader -- readSchema resulted in 0 schema features being returned

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +9

Hi, @lorinda.

After taking a further glance at your log file, I have checked out the URI for the feature layer you were referencing on the ACS Census AGOL public domain. There is a way to access the data without authentication. This can be done using the Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service Reader by selecting Parameters… (first image) and pasting the URI you’ve used and modifying it to not contain /1 (second image). From there you should be able to select layers via Layers ellipse [...] button (second image).

Let me know if you need further assistance!