Question

Read field alias from ArcGIS Feature Layer

• 29 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

Is it possible to read field aliases from an ArcGIS Feature Layer? I see there is a way to do this if connected to an Esri File Geodatabase, but the data I am working with is service based. I am currently using a FeatureReader connected to ArcGIS Enterprise.

Thanks in advance!
Sasha

5 replies

Badge +4

Hi @sashal, do you have a example Feature Service I could use to test in FME which includes aliases?

Badge +6

@lambertus Sure, I just created this temporary feature layer in ArcGIS Online which as field aliases that you can access to test. https://prof-services.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=7d3d08b6c2a14c4eabfea2f4f90026ac&view=table&sortOrder=desc&sortField=defaultFSOrder#overview

Badge +8

Hi @sashal : I don’t think the FeatureReader transforrmer has that option but the Reader does. See screen cap below.

Badge +6

@crutledge , I am not seeing that capability in a Reader for Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service. My data is service based. Are you using a Geodatabase reader type in your screenshot?

Badge +8

@sashal Ah my bad. Yes GDB. Another option would be, using the HTTPCaller, grab the pjson  from the rest service and grab the alias from there: 

{      "name" : "OBJECTID",       "type" : "esriFieldTypeOID",       "alias" : "OBJECTID",       "sqlType" : "sqlTypeOther",       "nullable" : false,       "editable" : false,       "domain" : null,       "defaultValue" : null    }, Or, using the custom transformer (ArcGIS_AP_FileGDBExport) created by Todd Davis, you could download the gdb and then use the alias option from the gdb reader.ArcGIS_AP_FileGDBExport Probably not what you were looking for but best I can think of right now. Good luck!