Question

How do I prevent FME Store transformers from overriding local custom transfomers?

Badge +11

I have a custom transformer that I wrote called "SequenceGenerator", and have been using it for almost 2 years. It resides in a shared folder on one of my servers so other staff can use it in their workbench files. I just upgraded to FME 2016.1 this afternoon and opened one of my workbenches that has this custom transformer in it (as a linked transformer, not embedded). Unfortunately, each instance is now pointing to the one from the FME Store (which is downloaded to my C:\\Users\\xxxx\\AppData\\Roaming\\Safe Software\\FME\\FME Store\\Transformers folder automatically). If I delete the downloaded one, as soon as I open this workbench again, it re-downloads it. This effectively blocks my own custom transformer.

Do I need to start namespacing my custom transformers with a prefix or something to prevent this? How can I specify that custom transformers stored in either my \\My Documents\\FME\\Transformers or the configured shared network folder take precedence over the FME Store downloads?

7 replies

Badge +11

As a follow up, I noticed this morning that when I start FME, I get this message in the log window:

Transformer Conflict - SequenceGenerator - Ignoring C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\Safe Software\FME\FME Store\Transformers\SequenceGenerator.fmx because it defines a transformer with the same name as the transformer defined in K:\FME_Development\Custom FME Tools\Transformers\SequenceGenerator.fmx

However, the damage appears to be done as every time I load my workbench, it still substitutes the transformer from the Store.  If I try to add one from my shared custom transformer location, it just inserts another copy of the one from the Store.

Badge +22

I have encountered similar issues. I ended up just putting a prefix on the ones that were problematic.

Badge +11

Just went back and checked this in FME 2016.0.1 on a different computer, and it is substituting the FME Store version of the transformer as well. Something must have changed recently, because I was able to open and run this workspace correctly as recently as April 7th.

Badge +11

I have encountered similar issues. I ended up just putting a prefix on the ones that were problematic.

I think that is what I will have to do.

Thanks for this. We will have a fix in shortly. Are you able to use a .1.1 beta? @c2

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Thanks for this. We will have a fix in shortly. Are you able to use a .1.1 beta? @c2

It also seems like identically named transformers from a shared site (locally, not store) superseedes the ones located in the local installation folder.

I would have thought, that local versions superceeded shared resources, as local versions superceeds store resource, enabling a smoother development cycle. The shared resources ought to be where the final tested versions reside.

Badge +5

FME Desktop should store the downloaded custom transformer to the Shared folder specified in options, and not in the roaming profile, or at least ask you where to store