Skip to main content

Backstory:

For some reason the traditional ESRI solutions for doing this have failed to move the Attachments as well, so I wanted to see if I could use FME to do this.

I have a SDE feature class with 43,000+ records and 84,000+ attachments. I have successfully used FME to write new features to an SDE Feature Class and add attachments at the time of writing. This however would be moving existing features and their attachments to a new SDE Feature Class in a different database. The thought would be to read (with the "Ignore Relationship Info" parameter disabled) the existing features, the attachment relationship table, and the attachments and then use the current origin and destination relationship ids as the values used as the temporary relationship ids when writing them as new features and attachments into the new location.

Question:

Has anyone attempted something similar? Second, the attachments are not being read. The feature and the attachment relationship table are read and contain results, but the attachments does not return any records. Thoughts?

I suggest you read this thread : AGOL attachment

With an AGOL or Feature Server reader, you have the possibility to read the attachment.

I suggest you read this thread : AGOL attachment

With an AGOL or Feature Server reader, you have the possibility to read the attachment.

Unfortunately, the features and their attachments are not a part of a Feature Service or an AGOL Feature Service. I have used those readers in the past for a different circumstance successfully and I am aware of their existence.

In this case, I am more specifically asking if anyone has attempted such a move of a large quantity of features that included their attachments using FME, and whether or not the have experience an instance where for some reason the feature reader specific to the attachments did not read the attachments.

I am using an ArcSDE Reader with the "Ignore Relationship Info" disabled. I have read the attachments successfully before on a smaller dataset (15,000+ Features and 4,300+ Attachments) using this method. I would like to use this method on the larger dataset to perform the following task:

"The thought would be to read (with the "Ignore Relationship Info" parameter disabled) the existing features, the attachment relationship table, and the attachments and then use the current origin and destination relationship ids as the values used as the temporary relationship ids when writing them as new features and attachments into the new location."

Thank you for the suggestion though.