Skip to main content
Question

Insufficient memory available -- error code was 2. Offending plug-in is 'shapefile_dbase' error in FME Workbench 2020.2

• 13 June 2023
  • 1 reply

I am doing a simple clip function in FME Workbench 2020.2. Clippee area is quite huge. Clipper - small and simple. 

Getting this error:

Failed to free sufficient memory to reach the process usage limit. To improve stability and performance please increase the memory available to FME. Available memory can be increased by adding physical RAM, increasing swap space, or closing other applications

Insufficient memory available -- error code was 2. Offending plug-in is 'shapefile_dbase'

Warning: not all FMESessions that were created were destroyed before shutdown. This may cause instability

Warning: not all Stashed Objects that were registered were dropped before shutdown. This may cause instability

I never received memory problem with much more complicated workbenches. What can be the workaround?

I have read an advice somewhere, to set Clipper type as "Clippers First", but it doesn't help.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

Interesting - First make sure that Caching is turned off.

Could it be that you have a pretty full C drive? This will effect how much virtual memory the process can use. If you also have a lot of applications open then it can have an effect (multiple browser tabs etc or ArcGIS)

Are you building a list or have a lot of attributes? You can try and remove all unneeded attributes or even just all of them except an ID. you can then use the ID to Join the attributes later in the workflow with a FeatureJoiner.

Are you also writing out to shape or just reading?