Solved

Check which floating license

Hi,

Is it possible to figure out programatically what license FME is using?

i.e. if I have multiple versions of FME on a machine to check using Python if 'c:\\fme2013\\fme.exe' is using a professional or oracle license.

Cheers

-James
icon

Best answer by david_r 2 May 2013, 18:31

View original

6 replies

Badge +21
Hi James!

Have a look at FME_MacroValues and print out all available from here:

http://fmepedia.safe.com/AnswersQuestionDetail?id=906a0000000ck4aAAA
Badge
Not sure what you mean by 'oracle license', but if you are talking about the FME license, then you can get the license manager and its type in python like this:

import fmeobjects

lm = fmeobjects.FMELicenseManager()

lic_type = lm.getLicenseType()
Userlevel 5
Hi James,

the easiest way is probably this, using Python:

lm = fmeobjects.FMELicenseManager() if lm.isReaderLicensed('ORACLE8I'):     print "Oracle is licensed" else:     print "Oracle is NOT licensed"

The parameter for isReaderLicensed() corresponds to the short name of any FME format. The format short name is listed in the FME reader gallery:

Note that the getLicenseType() method will only tell you the if the license if floating or node locked, etc.

David
Thanks Guys. Very helpful.

lm.isWriterLicensed('ORACLE8I') is the method I'm looking for. The Reader version will always return True, because licenses restrict writers not readers.

Although if you have multiple versions of FME on a single computer like I do, which version is the method going to return? I would say it depends on which fmeobjects my sys.path points too.

@Muratgu - Oracle License is the 2nd most outter ring in this chart: http://www.safe.com/fme/fme-technology/fme-desktop/fme-editions/

Userlevel 5
Hi James,

glad to hear it worked. Concerning:

The Reader version will always return True, because licenses restrict writers not readers.

This does not match my experiences (the code I posted was tested successfully using FME2013sp1). Care to elaborate?

David
Hi David

Our office has Professional and Oracle Spatial licenses.

Professional can read any feature type.

Perhaps you've used the Base version which is limited in readers/writers and transformers.

-James