Skip to main content
Question

active directory for the access to fme server is being done but when trying to import users or groups the following error appears

• 31 July 2020
  • 2 replies

I have the following problem:

The configuration of the active directory for the access to fme server is being done but when trying to import users or groups the following error appears

A null object was provided where a non-null object is required (non-null index 0). Thread stack trace: getStackTrace(Thread.java:1559) / ensureNotNull(Validator.java:61) / createSubstringFilter(Filter.java:633) / searchUsers(FMEUidActiveDirectoryConnection.java:948) / searchForUsers(LdapSearchServer.java:366) / executeRequest(SecurityRequestsDispatcher.java:1274) / handleRequestSecurity(FMEServer.java:507) / handleFMEServerClientRequest(FMEServer.java:368) / handleFMEServerClientRequest(RequestHandler.java:98) / processClientRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:856) / readClientRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:589) / handleClientRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:772) / run(RequestHandlerBase.java:946) / run(Thread.java:748).

I appreciate your help in verifying what may be causing the error and how to solve it.

Hi @Laydi Viviana Bautista​ ,

Typically as long as the AD configuration doesn't error when you add it, users and groups can be added easily. We had issues with importing large groups in FME Server prior to FME 2017, but that has been resolved. If no Users or Groups can be added I would look to make sure you are connecting to a single domain controller. The issues is also reminiscent of test trying to connect with non-AD LDAP directory such as OpenLDAP, which FME Server is not designed for. More information on the system and configuration would be helpful. Feel free to make a case and we can explore with you

Hi @Laydi Viviana Bautista​,

Through a support case we determined in your case the Active Directory is hosted on IBM Security and at this time FME Server only supports creating a Connection and importing users from Microsoft Active Directory LDAP so this is the cause of the error.

That being said, work is currently in progress to add support for IBM LDAP and I have added this Community post to the internal issue (FMESERVER-13723) so that I can update this answer when it becomes available.

Please consider upvoting this idea for more general LDAP support as well and add any comments in support of your use case.