Question

RasterObjectDetector not working in FME 2024

• 15 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am trying to use the RasterObjectDetector for an object detection task using FME Form 2024, but translation fails and I get following error messages:

-Library 'C:\Program Files\FME\plugins/opencv/rasterobjectdetectfactory.dll' was found but could not be loaded. Ensure that all the dependent modules exist for this library.

-Could not load module 'C:\Program Files\FME\plugins/opencv/rasterobjectdetectfactory.dll' : 'The specified module could not be found'

-Module 'opencv/rasterobjectdetectfactory' is unavailable for use with this FME edition

I downloaded OpenCV 3.4.9 and added the installation location to the system path, as specified in the documentation of the transformer, but it is still not working. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @camille.w, thanks for posting. Unfortunately, the RasterObjectDetector and related transformers have been deprecated in FME 2024.0 and will be fully removed from the application in 25.0. This was a result of vulnerabilities found in the OpenCV 3.4.9 libraries used by the transformer. 

Can you confirm you created a correct system path on your machine?

Another thing you can try is downloading the required files from OpenCV (.dll/.exe) and add them to the location mentioned in the logfile: C:\Program Files\FME\plugins/opencv/ ? I have not personally tested this, so please reach out with an update! 

Just as a note, we strongly advise against creating any new workspaces with this transformer, as it will not be available moving forward. I might be more inclined to suggest the PicterraConnector, RasterExpressionEvaluator, or other online services. Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge +1

Hi Kailin,

Thanks for your reply!

I added the opencv folder location to environment variables → system variables → variable ‘Path’ and included ‘.DLL’ to the variable ‘PATHEXT’ to be sure it would read the .dll files too. Is there anything else I can do?

I already tried to add the .dll and .exe files directly to the FME opencv folder, but without success. Even though the rasterobjectdetectfactory.dll file is present in the folder, it cannot be found by FME.

Thank you, Camille

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hell @camille.w, I apologize I am out of ideas. Might be easier to use an older version of FME as an alternative? Happy to help, Kailin.