Question

Keeping Color when converting DWG to GDB/SHP

Badge +5

Hi

Currently I am converting a DWG file to GDB (file) / SHP,

The DWG file itself has line and polygon and they have color based on their different layer name.

Once I read the file, it showed only FME feature name, I used AttributeExposer to add autocad color column and a few more useful information, then I used DWGStyler and FeatureColorSetter but once I write the file to GDB or SHP and bring the data to ArcGISPro, the layer has only one single color. (Please see the attachments) 

Can someone give me a clue how to solve it?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Both shape and gdb are format without style. So technically it is not possible to add color to the features when moving from CAD to ArcGIS Pro. The DWGStyler is to manage the style for a DWG writer, not for DWG data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Both shape and gdb are format without style. So technically it is not possible to add color to the features when moving from CAD to ArcGIS Pro. The DWGStyler is to manage the style for a DWG writer, not for DWG data.

Our team build a workspace which reads a DWG and writes a GDB + and a .stylx, which is a SQLite database. Then they add the featureclasses from the GDB to ArcGIS Pro and match the layer symbology to the style from the file, based on autocad_layer_name. This works quite well as long as the features in the dwg are styled by layer.

I can’t share that workspace but this is the principle.