Skip to main content
Question

Has anyone resolved the workspace log Warning for coordinate system when working with Snowflake Spatial Reader?

• 27 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Has anyone resolved the workspace log Warning for coordinate system when working with Snowflake Spatial Reader?

Coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `SNOWFLAKE_SPATIAL_1' has changed from `LL-WGS84' to `'

If you set the coordinate system on the Snowflake Spatial reader to LL-WGS84 the warning changes to.

NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `SNOWFLAKE_SPATIAL_1' from `LL-WGS84' to `' -- mapping file setting of `LL-WGS84' overrides coordinate system `' read from file.

If you set the coordinate system on the Snowflake Spatial reader to EPSG:4326 the warning changes to.

NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `SNOWFLAKE_SPATIAL_1' from `EPSG:4326' to `LL-WGS84' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:4326' overrides coordinate system `LL-WGS84' read from file.

Ultimately the Warning has no impact on the workbench or translation, the data is definitely LL-WGS84 and a CoordinateSystemExtractor will confirm this but best practice for me is to resolve as many log warnings as possible and this one would seem to be spurious or a bug?

Thanks

Alan

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hey @alanbc​, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I don't think it's necessary that we log these messages, at least not as warnings in the translation log. They could be logged as normal messages instead. There's definitely some improvement we could bring to the wording to make it more clear what FME is doing. I've submitted an enhancement request with our developers to get this looked at. For your reference, the ticket number is FMEENGINE-80871.

We'll update you here if any changes are made to the Snowflake Spatial Reader coordinate system logging.

Awesome, thanks @danminneyatsaf​ .

Userlevel 1
Badge +16

Hi @danminneyatsaf I have the same issue within a FeatureReader, reading from a GeoPackage:

NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `R_9' from `EPSG:25832' to `ETRS89.UTM-32N' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:25832' overrides coordinate system `ETRS89.UTM-32N' read from file

But I understand that this is simply a warning with no implications on the performance or translation and is rather an information than a warning.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

@tb09114 that’s correct, these log messages are just warnings and won’t have any implications on the performance or translation of your workspace. For now you can ignore the messages. I just took a look at the ticket, FMEENGINE-80871, and the issue is set to be resolved in FME 2024.1.

Badge

Do you know in what version of 2024.1 it will be resolved? I’m trying build 24612 and it still marks these messages as warnings.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

@fredrik.ekstrom The issue was resolved in FME 2024.1 (build 24556). If you’ve opened an existing workspace in build 24612, you can right-click on the Snowflake Reader in the navigator window and select Update - otherwise it may still show the coordinate system warnings in the log. 

Badge

So it’s only for the Snowflake reader? We get the same warnings from all readers more os less MSSQL/PostGIS. We get like this line

“NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `MSSQL_SPATIAL_1' from `EPSG:3008' to `SWEREF-99-13-30' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:3008' overrides coordinate system `SWEREF-99-13-30' read from file

Since EPSG:3008 is the same as SWEREF-99-13-30 this is not a problem and in my opinion not a warning, more like information.

I was happy to find this post with the same “problem” to be fixed but that was not the case since it is not covering all readers.

My bad.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

@fredrik.ekstrom are you able to share a sample workspace & sample dataset (this could be exported as an FFS file)? I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue yet but sometimes these warnings are dataset dependent. Once I’ve been able to reproduce the issue I’ll promptly file a bug report to get this issue resolved.

Cheers,

Dan.

Badge +6

I’m having a similar problem using a SQL Server reader, from tables that use British National Grid (EPSG:27700):
“NOT changing coordinate system of reader identified by keyword `MSSQL_SPATIAL_1' from `EPSG:27700' to `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' -- mapping file setting of `EPSG:27700' overrides coordinate system `OSGB-GPS-2015-OSTN15' read from file”

I never understood what it means, and I remember seeing this problem for quite a long time, talking about years.

Some log files show 20,000 warnings of this type, and some produce no warning at all.

Is this going to be fixed along with the Snowflake Reader issue?