Question

GDB Reader browsing slowness

Badge +3

We’re currently experience FME 2 minute+  freezes when we add an Esri GDB reader to a workbench, then press the ellipses to browse to the location.  

This only happens in the dialog if we have selected Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb) as the Format.  

We have found a work around of pasting the GDB path into the dialog box but we still experience a 30+ second pause when we hit Parameters/Tables.  This takes a substantial time to load. 

The issue is decreased when a gdb reader is added to a brand new workbench.   

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

What software versions do you use? Both Safe & ESRI.

This feels like a licensing thing to me. How are licenses managed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

I find the OpenAPI reader to be very sluggish too

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

I find the OpenAPI reader to be very sluggish too

Strange. I work with .gdb on a daily basis and I do not experience this in 2021, 2023 or 2024. I only use FeatureReaders, not classic readers.

I’m on Windows 10, use ArcGIS Pro 2.9.6, the file geodatabases are located on a SSD in the system I’m working with. License is managed via an AGOL account.

The usual drama I see with teammates working with file geodatabases are caused by synchronisation stuff, when they have it located on a one drive folder. Which is advised agains by Esri.

Badge +3

I’m running FME(R) 2023.0.2.0 (20230727 - Build 23338 - WIN64)
ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0

Licensing is done via an in region license manager.  

GDBs reside on cloud drives.  We have FME running on the same data centre WVDs.  

The same timeout happens when using FeatureReaders when GDB is selected, prior to browsing.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Just to diagnose, what happens when you try and access a gdb on a local drive? If the problem goes away, you know where to look, if not, diagnose further.