Question

Filter Point Cloud above/below a TIN surface

• 18 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

Hi there,

If I have been given a TIN and a point cloud, how can I find out which points are above the surface and which are below, without rasterizing the surface to retain maximum surface fidelity.

Thanks,

Marc

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mgg_beca​,

I think the simplest process would be to use an Extruder to extrude the TIN by a distance that will encompass the highest point in the point cloud. Then use a Clipper to clip the point cloud by the extruded TIN. Inside points will be above, while Outside points will be below.

If the TIN is a mesh geometry, you may need to use a GeometryCoercer to convert to a composite surface before extruding.

Badge +7

Hi @mgg_beca​,

I think the simplest process would be to use an Extruder to extrude the TIN by a distance that will encompass the highest point in the point cloud. Then use a Clipper to clip the point cloud by the extruded TIN. Inside points will be above, while Outside points will be below.

If the TIN is a mesh geometry, you may need to use a GeometryCoercer to convert to a composite surface before extruding.

Hi @daveatsafe​ ,

I thought that might be the case, but figured I'd reach out and see if there was a more specific solution. I think there is definitely scope for a transformer to do this.

Regards,

Marc

Badge +4

I think I’ve done something similar in the past. I think I copied the z value to a new component (Zorig). Then ran through the surface draper. Then I took a difference of the old z and the new z. If its negative is below ground, positive above ground