Skip to main content
Question

Excel writer in 2024 parameter settings not persistent

• 15 July 2024
  • 1 reply

When writing my data to an Excel spreadsheet, then I thought to get the attribute names in the first row of the spreadsheet.

According the the documentation, the parameter ‘Output Field Names’ only has an effect ‘c...] only if the sheet or named range is being created or has been dropped or truncated prior to insertion. Otherwise, attribute names will not be added to existing worksheets or named ranges.’

So, I drop and truncate what ever I can… 😂 However, while ‘Overwrite Existing File’ can be set to yes or no, and it sticks to the writers settings, the in the documentation mentioned parameters can be set to yes, but the next time you open the writers parameters dialog, your setting is back to no.

The problem is most likely related to

and I tried to set the row height to 0, where the name s are written.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @tb09114,

Can you clarify if having the ‘Overwrite Existing File’ setting set to ‘no’ doesn’t update your Excel file? It would be set to ‘no’ by default and would write back to that original file instead of creating a new one from scratch (and therefore, having ‘Truncate’ in your parameters would truncate that existing file, it wouldn’t truncate a new file). I don’t think that explains why it reverts back to ‘no’ when you exit out of the writer and go back in, but if we can clarify what’s happening maybe that will give us some clues!