Solved

Copy & Paste Transformer from file or web content

• 24 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

We generate certain types of transformers (mostly HTTPCaller) with some attributes prefilled and want our users to be able to copy the content from a file or web source and paste it directly into FME Workbench, or use drag and drop, if possible. We don’t want to use custom transformers, which works, but the overhead would be overkill. The problem is that the paste does not work, CTRL+V does nothing and the paste menu option is greyed out. I tried with a direct clone of a working transformer so the format is correct. If I copy a transformer, paste it into an editor, copy the editors content and try to paste it back to Workbench it won’t work. I don’t know why this does not work but I persume it might have something to do with encoding. Does anyone have a clue how to overcome this issue, or maybe a workaround? Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by liamfez 24 April 2024, 13:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

A workspace just for storage of these prepared transformers might be a good workaround. You could include bookmarks, and annotations to help organize it. Then the users would just need to open up the prepared transformer workspace and could copy across whatever they need to their own workspace.

Badge +3

A workspace just for storage of these prepared transformers might be a good workaround. You could include bookmarks, and annotations to help organize it. Then the users would just need to open up the prepared transformer workspace and could copy across whatever they need to their own workspace.

Good  idea, that would be a viable workaround, although I still wonder why copy & paste does not work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I will add that you could also have sets of transformers, already connected together in various ways. Even add a couple readers with example data and save it as a template file. I have a couple workspaces saved in a folder like that for tasks that I do not do very often, and are different enough a custom transformer would not be appropriate, but require a similar set of tools.

Badge +3

I will add that you could also have sets of transformers, already connected together in various ways. Even add a couple readers with example data and save it as a template file. I have a couple workspaces saved in a folder like that for tasks that I do not do very often, and are different enough a custom transformer would not be appropriate, but require a similar set of tools.

Good points. I guess I will go with your idea when the original solution doesn’t work. It would have been nice to just drag a HTTPCaller from an endpoint documentation directly into workspace with all attributes already set.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

@patrick.gress FME has the functionality to set and store presets for transformers

https://docs.safe.com/fme/2023.1/html/FME-Form-Documentation/FME-Form/!Transformer_Parameters/Transformer_Defaults.htm

In my opinion this would be a much more robust way than storing them in a separate workbench that may get inadvertently changed