Solved

Cant find pdf-reader in FME Form 2024?

Userlevel 1
Badge +14
  • Contributor
  • 120 replies

The PDF-reader seems to have disappeared from FME Form 2024 for Mac (silicon). It worked fine in the 2023 version. I took a look at the writer, and there is no dot under Read there either. 

Has this reader been removed for some reason? Or is this a bugg?

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 9 April 2024, 19:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @aron 

I checked here in my computer FME 2024 - Reader:

Userlevel 1
Badge +14

Hmm, not sure what I have done to displease those pesky little Bytes that live inside the Machine. But I downloaded and reinstalled both the most recent version of Form 24.0 and the 24.1 Beta. Still no PDF-reader. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Please - select the icon Reader and not Writer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @aron - my understanding is that this format is available on Mac (Intel) but not on Mac (ARM/Silicon)

See this page of the docs.

In case this info might be useful, I believe none of these formats are available on ARM:

3DS, ACAD, DGNV8, DGNV8XFM, DWF, ECW, FBX, FILEGDB, GRIB, HYPER, JPEG2000, NITF, PDF Reader, PDF2D Reader, RDATA, REVITNATIVE, SAS, SAV, SDL, SENTINEL2AWS

Apologies for that. If you would like more information, please contact our support team (safe.com/support). They will know more about the exact limitation that prevents this format from being used, and might have some suggestions for a workaround.

Regards

Mark

LIST NOW UPDATED: SEE COMMENT BELOW...

Userlevel 1
Badge +14

Hi @aron - my understanding is that this format is available on Mac (Intel) but not on Mac (ARM/Silicon)

Thanks @mark2atsafe!

In case anyone else has the same issue, I downloaded the Intel version, which runs fine on a silicon Mac, and voila, there was the pdf-reader in all its glory.

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

In case this info might be useful, I believe none of these formats are available on ARM:

3DS, ACAD, DGNV8, DGNV8XFM, DWF, ECW, FBX, FILEGDB, GRIB, HYPER, JPEG2000, NITF, PDF Reader, PDF2D Reader, RDATA, REVITNATIVE, SAS, SAV, SDL, SENTINEL2AWS

That’s quite a number of popular formats in that list and given that Intel Macs are no longer being produced (and I need to upgrade my hardware soon for support of the other software I use a lot) it’s putting me in a really awkward position.

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

@redgeographics Time to switch to a real PC then? By the way: Het is patat en geen friet. 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

@redgeographics Time to switch to a real PC then? By the way: Het is patat en geen friet. 😁

Them’s fighting words! #teamfriet

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi folks. The list of formats I gave earlier appears to be incorrect. One of our developers saw the mistakes in it and mentioned them to me.

These formats ARE universally available on Linux and Mac

• 3ds
  • ACAD
  • Revit Native
  • DGNv8, DGNv8 XFM

These formats are NOT available on Silicon.

• File GDB

These formats are mixed:

• 2DPDF Intel: Reading and Writing
  • 2DPDF Silicon: Writing only

The other formats I mentioned probably aren’t supported, but they don’t look as important to me, so we didn’t discuss those.

Because I got some of the original information from the documentation, we’ll make sure that it gets updated. And it is good to use Silicon over Intel, because the performance will be much better.

Hope this is better news for you @redgeographics 

Mark

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Thanks for the update @mark2atsafe, that is better news indeed.

Still leaves me with the dilemma of which Mac to get. The new iMacs are a no-go (my current one has a 27” screen, the new ones only 24” so that’ll feel like a downgrade) so I’m leaning towards a Mac Studio or Macbook Pro

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks for the update @mark2atsafe, that is better news indeed.

Still leaves me with the dilemma of which Mac to get.

If it’s any help, I do have an M1 MacBook Pro and can say that it’s pretty amazing. So the latest M3 must be special indeed.