Question

Area On Area Overlayer ignoring some features

• 3 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hi

I am passing a polygon dataset to the area on area overlayer and some of the features seem to be ignored completely and do not pass through the transformer. Surely all polygons sohould pass through with a count of 1 (or more if they intersect other features in the dataset)?

Also is there a way to tell the transformer only to intersect with a second dataset and not itself?

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Are the ignored features being output to the Rejected port? If so, the fme_rejection_code on those should give a clue as to why it is being rejected. For the second part, I would suggest the Clipper transformer. It can provide a similar result to the AreaOnAreaOverlayer, but you have more flexiblility to specify which features are the Clipper and which features are being clipped.

Badge +4

Are the ignored features being output to the Rejected port? If so, the fme_rejection_code on those should give a clue as to why it is being rejected. For the second part, I would suggest the Clipper transformer. It can provide a similar result to the AreaOnAreaOverlayer, but you have more flexiblility to specify which features are the Clipper and which features are being clipped.

Thanks for your reply. Nothing is coming out the rejected port at all! I wondered if it was an issue with the geometry, but I have run them through the geometry validator. Fab, will give the clipper a go for this case.
Userlevel 3
Badge +26
Thanks for your reply. Nothing is coming out the rejected port at all! I wondered if it was an issue with the geometry, but I have run them through the geometry validator. Fab, will give the clipper a go for this case.

Is it possible that some of your source areas are completely coincident? The AreaOnAreaOverlayer will only output a single feature for every set of features that are completely coincident. So it may appear that some features are being dropped in processing, but it could be doing as it's designed.

Badge +4
Oooh. That is a good call! Is there a transformer that can test if they are completely coincident?
Userlevel 3
Badge +26

You can use the Matcher transformer with the 'Check Geometry' option to identify duplicates.

Badge +4
That is indeed my issue! Thank you for your help. Clearly you need to be very careful with this transformer!