Question

AIXM 5.1 geometry from AirspaceTimeSlice not loaded when referenced with xlink:href

Show first post

27 replies

Badge

Hello @philippev​ , thank you for following up. I'm including some more information about the issue.

The general problem here is that usually in GML when there is geometry by reference (eg. xlink href) the geometry link points to another geometry object. In the case of this dataset, the link points to another feature entirely - AirspaceTimeSlice geometries are linked to GeoBorderTimeSlice features. One challenge with this higher level linkage is that the geoborder geometry may extend beyond the airspace boundary and so a complex process of extracting just the appropriate parts of the geoborder is required in order to complete the airspace.

Its not atypical for AIXM datasets to be large and complex. So while we're expending significant effort exploring workarounds, and have proposed some that do work in limited cases, it is very likely that a more general solution will require significant new development effort on the AIXM Reader itself. This is why we have not been able to provide you with a solution to this yet, as we are waiting on a development fix / enhancement to handle this special case of related complex xlinked geometries.

I'm terribly sorry we haven't solved this yet, but I assure you we will continue to track this closely and let you know as soon as development makes progress on this.

Thanks for your understanding and patience, Kailin.

Hello Kailin,

Thank you for your message and your info about the progress.

Don't give up.

Have a nice day

Philippe

Hello @philippev​ , thank you for following up. I'm including some more information about the issue.

The general problem here is that usually in GML when there is geometry by reference (eg. xlink href) the geometry link points to another geometry object. In the case of this dataset, the link points to another feature entirely - AirspaceTimeSlice geometries are linked to GeoBorderTimeSlice features. One challenge with this higher level linkage is that the geoborder geometry may extend beyond the airspace boundary and so a complex process of extracting just the appropriate parts of the geoborder is required in order to complete the airspace.

Its not atypical for AIXM datasets to be large and complex. So while we're expending significant effort exploring workarounds, and have proposed some that do work in limited cases, it is very likely that a more general solution will require significant new development effort on the AIXM Reader itself. This is why we have not been able to provide you with a solution to this yet, as we are waiting on a development fix / enhancement to handle this special case of related complex xlinked geometries.

I'm terribly sorry we haven't solved this yet, but I assure you we will continue to track this closely and let you know as soon as development makes progress on this.

Thanks for your understanding and patience, Kailin.

Hi @kailinatsafe​ , following-up to see if there has been any progress with this issue.

Thanks,