Solved

How to update Feature Types using a FeatureReader

• 17 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +5
  • Contributor
  • 25 replies

For normal Reader feature types, to update for schema or attribute changes you simply go to Readers > Update Feature Types. I can't find the same functionality using a FeatureReader. Is there a way to do that? The only workaround I've found is to drop the FeatureReader and re-add it.

icon

Best answer by chrisatsafe 17 March 2021, 22:17

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi @Jon Atwood​ ,

Great question. As of 2021, there is actually a Regenerate button under the Feature Reader > Output > Output Ports parameter. If you are using an older version of FME, you can still get this done either by clicking on the Parameters button (for formats like Excel, CSV, Sheets) or selecting the feature types to read then clicking OK in the FeatureReader parameters.

Here are the 3 options:

2021-03-17_13-55-45

Badge +5

Hi @Jon Atwood​ ,

Great question. As of 2021, there is actually a Regenerate button under the Feature Reader > Output > Output Ports parameter. If you are using an older version of FME, you can still get this done either by clicking on the Parameters button (for formats like Excel, CSV, Sheets) or selecting the feature types to read then clicking OK in the FeatureReader parameters.

Here are the 3 options:

2021-03-17_13-55-45

@chrisatsafe​  thanks for all the info! Currently running 2020 so guess I'll have to upgrade to get that cool new button

Badge +11

I have a follow up question...

Which version of reader does the FeatureReader use for a given format? Does it use the latest version available in the version of FME being used, or does it use the version that was in use at the time the FeatureReader was added to the canvas?

For example, I build a workspace using FME 2018 with a FeatureReader reading a Shape file. I then open and run the workspace in FME 2021. Will it run using the FME 2018 version of the Shape file reader, or the 2021 version?

There does not seem to be an option to "upgrade reader" as there is with standard readers/writers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

I have a follow up question...

Which version of reader does the FeatureReader use for a given format? Does it use the latest version available in the version of FME being used, or does it use the version that was in use at the time the FeatureReader was added to the canvas?

For example, I build a workspace using FME 2018 with a FeatureReader reading a Shape file. I then open and run the workspace in FME 2021. Will it run using the FME 2018 version of the Shape file reader, or the 2021 version?

There does not seem to be an option to "upgrade reader" as there is with standard readers/writers.

Hi @nic_ran​ The version used is the most recent for that build of FME when editing the FeatureReader. It's not yet possible to select particular versions of readers or even keep the version to what it was when the FeatureReader was first configured. This issue is being tracked via FMEENGINE-10220.

Badge +11

Hi @nic_ran​ The version used is the most recent for that build of FME when editing the FeatureReader. It's not yet possible to select particular versions of readers or even keep the version to what it was when the FeatureReader was first configured. This issue is being tracked via FMEENGINE-10220.

Thanks Dan. At least good to know how it behaves - and also that it might be something that will change in the future.