Question

2017 performance issues with Point On Line Overlayer

Badge +5

Has anyone else experienced performance issues with the Point On Line or Point On Area Overlayer? In 2016 I have a workbench that does some overlays of about 700,000 lines with 2500 points and it runs within about 30 min (most is reading in features for other parts of the process). But when I try to run it in either 2017.0 or 2017.1 I get to a point where it says, "Creating spatial index" and it's been at it for hours. I tried upgrading the transformers to the latest version, with no change.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had a similar experience.

5 replies

Badge +11

Hi @jakethepainter, reading about performance regressions is definitely not something that sits well with us! Would you be able to supply any source data and workspace example that we can use to demonstrate / reproduce the reduced performance?

*And just as a sanity check, make sure that FME Workbench is operating on the same system when you perform the testing - ideally with all datasets local (to rule out network issues).

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I can also advise that FME 2017.1 has made significant performance gains over 2017.0 so @jakethepainter, you may wish to try the latest FME 2017.1 beta and see how it does. (And yes, we are aware that FME 2017.0 did regress in some scenarios compared to 2016.x and we are working very hard to claw that back.)

Badge +5

I couldn't really figure out how to create an example that wasn't hooked to all my internal databases. However, the problem was resolved with FME 2017.1 which I installed today.

Badge +11

I couldn't really figure out how to create an example that wasn't hooked to all my internal databases. However, the problem was resolved with FME 2017.1 which I installed today.

Hi @jakethepainter, for future reference you can use Recorder transformers to save data from a database. This handy Knowledge Center article has a brief explanation of how to use them.

I'm glad to hear that you observed this to be resolved in 2017.1!

Badge
I experienced the same!

A lot of overlayers in a Workspace (Pointonlineoverlayer, snipper, neighbourfinder,...)

FME 2016 (Build 16717) is 4 times faster than 2017.1 (Even testet with 64bit and enough RAM)

I try to make a "package" for safe