Question

Maximum file size for incoming email? [FME Cloud]

• 10 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi

I am using an incoming email with attachment to trigger a workbench. An email with a 46mb attachment was rejected - can anyone advise on the maximum allowable file size for incoming email attachments? I can't find this in the documentation.

Can this limit be configured to allow for larger files?

Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 4

There's no standard maximum email attachement size, it all depends on the mail servers in the SMTP transfer chain. Even if you can configure your local mail server to accept an arbitrary size, you're still limited by the other servers your mail is transferred through.

A lot of email providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc set their limit at 25 MB (per email), but personally I try to keep it under 10 MB, which seems to work 99% of the time.

If you need support for larger files, I'd recommend using something like Dropbox, OneDrive, FTP, etc.

Badge

There's no standard maximum email attachement size, it all depends on the mail servers in the SMTP transfer chain. Even if you can configure your local mail server to accept an arbitrary size, you're still limited by the other servers your mail is transferred through.

A lot of email providers such as Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc set their limit at 25 MB (per email), but personally I try to keep it under 10 MB, which seems to work 99% of the time.

If you need support for larger files, I'd recommend using something like Dropbox, OneDrive, FTP, etc.

I should have mentioned - I'm using an FME Cloud Server instance, and letting the internal SMTP handle incoming emails.

Userlevel 4
I should have mentioned - I'm using an FME Cloud Server instance, and letting the internal SMTP handle incoming emails.

There's still a fair chance that there's several mail relays involved in delivering the mail from your internal SMTP server to your FME Cloud instance. You can inspect the full mail headers received on FME Cloud and use something like this utility to make them a bit easier to read:

https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx

For example, the notification mails I receive from these forums does 5 relay "hops" before arriving in my inbox, meaning that in theory each of these five servers could impose a different maximum attachment size.

Badge +2

Hi @ld

Do any of the log files on your FME Server give any indication of the rejection because of file size? I'm wondering if they'd say what the limits are.

I can't see anything in any of the FME Server configuration about email limits or changing them

I think @david_r is on the right track.. I can't even test sending a file that large because Google won't let me.

If you let us know what your intended workflow is, I think it would be best to explore an alternative to receiving large files via email.